New Earthdawn Podcast!

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Mataxes
New Earthdawn Podcast!

Post by Mataxes » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:02 am

A new Earthdawn podcast launched today. Live from Barsaive has two episodes out. The first is kind of an introduction where they lay out their plans, and the second one starts looking at trolls and the Twilight peaks.

I've listened to the first two episodes, and I like the approach. It's shaping up to be a bit more focused on setting and lore, at least for now. So consider this a recommendation from me.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Telarus

Re: New Earthdawn Podcast!

Post by Telarus » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:14 am

Seconded! I like Chad and Rachel a lot after the first episode.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:48 am

Note for those interested: The podcast is now available through the itunes store. You need to search for it by name (Live from Barsaive), as it doesn't come up if you search by "Earthdawn".
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:24 am

Mataxes wrote:Note for those interested: The podcast is now available through the itunes store. You need to search for it by name (Live from Barsaive), as it doesn't come up if you search by "Earthdawn".
Thanks you for the update! I went to subscribe on Podcast Addict and couldn't. Then I forgot to check later.

Subscribed and downloading!
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

ChadLare

Post by ChadLare » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:16 pm

I should have stopped in to this thread earlier. I have kind of been talking about the podcast everywhere but here...which makes basically no sense. Rachel and I want to thank the entire Earthdawn community for the warm reception that we have received.

A couple of updates:

For some reason, the podcast is still not searchable by keyword on iTunes, but we're going to look into that. From what I had read at various sites the keyword indexing can take a couple of weeks, but it's been over a month. Not sure what the deal is.

The podcast is also on Google Play and in the Blubrry podcast directory. I'm guessing that by now some other podcast directories have picked it up, but those are the three we have manually submitted to. We've also got a subscribe page on our website, https://lavamonkeygames.com/livefrombar ... o-podcast/

From there you can subscribe a few different ways, and it's got the url for the RSS feed if you need to manually copy/paste it into a podcast listening app. If anyone has any more issues with subscribing, let us know and we'll look into it.

As far as show content, we've finished the Twilight Peaks series and just released the second of our two-part interview with RPG Squad. Next week we'll release the first episode in our 4 part Serpent River series. Josh Harrison is dropping by for an interview (not sure yet if we will release that in the middle of Serpent River or wait until the end). We also recorded an episode with Rachel's brother, Everett, where he talks about extreme modding of Earthdawn...way beyond house rules.

Thanks for listening, and as always, feedback is appreciated so that we can continue to improve the quality of the podcast.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:11 pm

I'm really enjoying the podcast. Your energy and enthusiasm is contagious.

2 Criticisms:
Stay on topic.
Shows are too short ;)

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:39 pm

ChadLare wrote:I should have stopped in to this thread earlier.

Thanks for listening, and as always, feedback is appreciated so that we can continue to improve the quality of the podcast.
I wondered when you'd stop by!

Using the iTunes search in Podcast Addict worked for me a few weeks ago. Downloading fine every week. That doesn't mean anything about the iTunes keyword search working in general. (I think I used it, anyway, I remember using it.)

Keep up the good work. Enjoying the show!
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:34 pm

I must admit I stopped listening to it, since it frustrated me a bit.
It is clearly a show by someone who has spend a lot of time and loves the setting so it is very full of energy.
Sadly I find it too unfocused. The question that pops up in my head is whether this is a show telling stories about what the caster's group has gone in Earthdawn or whether it is about the setting itself. It seems to me a lot like the former as the hosts go "in our game ..." way too much.
I do like the intention to handle a book or region at the time. I have found some good nuggets of information, however, and this is what frustrates me the most, stop saying "I don't want to spoil it for you". Either disclose the information or don't even head in that direction. It gives the impression of kindergarten bullying to me.
My understanding of the sourcebooks is that all information in there are available at the Great Libraries so there's really no point in keeping it secret. I can understand it in case of published adventures.

All that being said I think the show is off on a great start with lots of potential. So don't let my words stop you from given it a go.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:30 pm

PiXeL01 wrote: stop saying "I don't want to spoil it for you".
*snip*
I can understand it in case of published adventures.
Agreed. You can't really spoil setting material that has been published for 20 years. But you shouldn't spoil the ending of a module.

ChadLare

Post by ChadLare » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:02 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Some of our episodes are more focused, and some are more free-form, but we do need to become more purposeful about it. Some listeners seem to enjoy one approach over the other, and we've gotten some positive and some negative feedback on both.

We're probably going to be doing a three- to four-episode series on each setting and then in between settings, have one or two interview episodes. Maybe a good approach would be to keep the settings shows more on-topic, but allow the interview episodes to be more conversational. Keep in mind that we currently have three episodes recorded that have not yet been released, so if you don't hear a change in tone immediately it's not that we're ignoring you. In any case, it's a work in progress, and we appreciate your input.

As far as spoilers go, I guess we could lighten up a little. For the most part Earthdawn books are written for both players and GM's, but there are specific adventure framework plot twists. Also some material (the Parlainth set in particular) has multiple options for the GM about the secret motivations of certain characters and things like that. My thinking was that it would be good to let GM's know there is some good stuff there, but not to go into specifics.

The other area of concern is that I don't want to get anywhere near infringing on FASA's intellectual property. Before launching the podcast we got written permission, and FASA has been very supportive of our efforts, but I don't ever want someone to use the podcast as a substitute for buying the books, so I'm reluctant to go into exhaustive detail on anything. My goal has been to give little bits and pieces that you can use, but mostly to help people decide which books would be a good fit for their campaigns.