New Earthdawn Podcast!

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
The Undying
Re: New Earthdawn Podcast!

Post by The Undying » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:39 pm

WRT that point about "I don't want to spoil it for you," it's also worthwhile to note that having those sprinkled throughout the podcast just doesn't help. If a player is listening, you think you've given them a warning, but what you've really done is given them a nebulous instruction to skip forward an unspecified amount of time. My personal recommendation would be to explicitly separate this material rather than interspersing it, and if you don't have it now, add chapters/sections/markers (whatever they are called) so listeners can easily skip past the material.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:42 pm

The Undying wrote:add chapters/sections/markers (whatever they are called) so listeners can easily skip past the material.
To expand on this idea a little:

You're already planning on doing multiple episodes dedicated to each setting piece your delving into. Perhaps separate them by PC info and GM info?

ChadLare

Post by ChadLare » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Yes, good suggestions. Maybe we should keep the bulk of the show relevant to GM's and players, but have a very brief GM tips section. That could have ideas about how to integrate the setting into campaigns, etc., but we could keep it compact enough to not disrupt the flow.

We are about halfway done with recording the Serpent River series. There is good info there, but we did end up going off on a lot of tangents. I was considering scrapping them and rerecording, but I think maybe I'll give them another listen and do some editing, or possibly rerecord sections but keep the good parts. A little bit of spontaneity can keep things interesting, but too much can get distracting. I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with those particular episodes, but this is definitely on our radar going forward.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone taking the time to tell us how to improve this. We have no delusions that the podcast is perfect. It is definitely a work in progress. Thanks.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:15 pm

One of my players does the Order66 Podcast. They talk about the FFG Star Wars RPG, reviewing books in some detail.

You might want to reach out to them about the legal issue concerning talking about the books.

Also, I'd recommend recording your legal disclaimer once, and just editing that in on each show after the fact. I think you may have missed it on the recent interview shows.

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:16 pm

I am more than willing to give it another go. Like I said I found a lot of good stuff in it, so the gold vein is within your reach.
I'm also aware that anything is hard in the beginning ^^

Keep at it!

ChadLare

Post by ChadLare » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:03 am

Also, I'd recommend recording your legal disclaimer once, and just editing that in on each show after the fact. I think you may have missed it on the recent interview shows.
We've got it on our site and in the metadata that goes out with the Podcast. We have also made some mentions that we are not affiliated with FASA, but I agree that having a full disclaimer right at the top of the episodes would be a good idea. A few times I have run things by Josh just to make sure that nothing is over the line, but we are planning to add a pre-recorded segment just to make sure there is no confusion.
I am more than willing to give it another go. Like I said I found a lot of good stuff in it, so the gold vein is within your reach.
I'm also aware that anything is hard in the beginning ^^
Glad to hear it. I spent this evening doing some major editing on our next episode (second episode of the Serpent River series). It's still unfocused at times but the editing is helping quite a bit. The rest of the Serpent River series has not been recorded yet, so we'll be taking a fresh approach with those.

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:16 am

Cool, eagerly awaiting that next episode. ;D

ChadLare

Post by ChadLare » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:36 am

I still have two other episodes that are recorded but not yet edited. One is an interview with Josh Harrison. That one flowed really well...almost as if Josh has done a few of these before. :)

The other one is an interview with Rachel's brother, Everett, who has done some extensive modding of the Earthdawn rules and source material. That episode was fun but it was by far the loosest one we have done yet. It's some really interesting stuff, but it's kind of all over the place.

We're planning to release that one after the Serpent River series (which is looking more like it will probably run five or six episodes). I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that when that one comes out, if you hear a shift back to the more free-flowing style, it's not that we're abandoning the new structure. The next series (most likely on Parlainth) will much more structured.

I'm still a little on the fence about how much info to include about our own campaign. Originally I wasn't planning on talking about it hardly at all...focusing entirely on Earthdawn lore...but I have gotten a lot of feedback from people asking us to include more of our personal gameplay experiences. While I'm not planning on making our campaign a major focus, it will probably pop up here and there.

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:12 pm

Personal experiences and actual play are always nice touches.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:30 pm

I'm enjoying the podcast, but since I have a lot of the books already, I would love to hear more about your campaign - that would be the stuff that's new to me.