Interaction tests and First Impression

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Slimcreeper
Interaction tests and First Impression

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:25 pm

I haven't asked a dumb question in a while:

Does First Impression replace a Make an Impression test? In other words, can I use First Impression and then Make an Impression for a potential +3 Attitude adjustment? My instinct is that it replaces it, but the text isn't clear to me.

Mataxes

Re: Interaction tests and First Impression

Post by Mataxes » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:09 pm

First Impression replaces the Make an Impression test. You can't stack them.

"You only get one chance" and all that.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:46 pm

What about Winning Smile? Does that stack with First Impression?

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Both being standard actions I would assume not. Although Winning Smile has a duration (and could therefore stack with the action of First Impression) I would also assume that the First Impression talent imply being .. well.. the FIRST Impression (i.e. first interaction) the target has with the character so he would not have seen him 'smile' beforehand.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:46 pm

First Impression and Winning Smile do two very different things, so they can't be said to "stack", as you would never add those two bonuses at the same time anyway. First Impression, as has been noted, replaces the social interaction test "make an impression", and as such improves the targets attitude towards you. Winning smile gives a bonus to social interaction tests. So while they don't "stack" the question that makes sense is "can Winning Smile modify a First Impression test?"

The whole purpose of Winning Smile is to modify social interaction tests (making an impression, telling a lie, reading body language, asking a favor, intimidation, etc.) So probably the answer is Yes, it ought to be able to. The only question is "does First Impression, by virtue of it's name, need to be the first test made after you meet a target"? As has been noted, they are both Standard Actions, so each take a full round to accomplish. Looking only at the name, one might assume a First Impression needs to be made the instant your target first catches sight of you. But looking at the text, it does not explicitly say so. It also says the test can be done every few days.

I have always seen it played as: You approach a small group, you chat with them a bit. You figure out who the leader is, then you do a First Impression on the leader. I see no reason why you could not first do a Winning Smile on the leader.

Personally, I find the best practices to ignore the names and much of the fluffy text and pay most attention to the crunch of the rules. Otherwise you find yourself making blind First Impression tests upon random members of a group, without knowing who are the leader(s). or arguing that Winning Smile does not help with Intimidation tests (Obviously you need a threatening scowl Talent for that). So if you look at the names and fluffy text, you have talked yourself into thinking that Winning Smile can't be used with 2 of the 5 Social Interaction tests it was meant to affect. Easier to say it can be used on all 5, and their Talent Replacements. And First Impression needs to be made soonish after meeting somebody, but does not need to be the first test made against them.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:19 pm

Ah! Because First Impression boosts Attitude and Winning Smile provides Interaction test bonuses.

True Neutral

Post by True Neutral » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:40 pm

I think you can use Etiquette to further push the Attitude needle, if you have the opportunity to observe or know the person's culture, group, etc.

You could also then attempt to engage in Conversation to further improve Attitude, but if it works this prevents anything else from improving Attitude during that time, so it should always be used last. (Also, isn't that a bit weird? If I talk with someone effectively, that prevents any other effect magic or otherwise from making a better impression?)

If you are negotiating for something, you can use Diplomacy to further increase Attitude, presumably helping you find a mutually beneficial compromise.