Another question: Bonus/Penalties/Modifiers: Applied on Step or Results?

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Bonhumm
Another question: Bonus/Penalties/Modifiers: Applied on Step or Results?

Post by Bonhumm » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:28 pm

Heya again.

I was under the impressions (i.e. was told but dint read anywhere) that, in 4th Edition, they had simplified things by applying any bonuses/penalties/modifers to the result of the roll instead of the step.

Example for Aggressive Attack:
Before = +3 STEPS to Melee Attacks and +3 STEPS to damage roll.
Now = +3 added to the result of the (normal) Melee Attack roll and +3 added to the result of the (normal) Damage roll.

But now, reading the example for Range modifier (p:390) it does seem to apply on the STEP instead.

So, do I have to 'mentally' add the word 'step' to ALL modifiers or did I miss something here?

Again, thank you.

Dougansf

Re: Another question: Bonus/Penalties/Modifiers: Applied on Step or Results?

Post by Dougansf » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:07 pm

Players Guide Page 33.

Essentially modifiers add to the step, but if it makes gameplay smoother for your group you can add to the result instead.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:20 pm

I personally find it faster to modify the result on temporary bonuses and penalties. And if there is a mistake you don't have to reroll. Plus it makes it much easier to introduce to new players to the game. The average is the same, and if the other statistical qualities are off I just think it's not detrimental to the game.

etherial

Post by etherial » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:13 pm

Slimcreeper wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:20 pm
I personally find it faster to modify the result on temporary bonuses and penalties. And if there is a mistake you don't have to reroll. Plus it makes it much easier to introduce to new players to the game. The average is the same, and if the other statistical qualities are off I just think it's not detrimental to the game.
It also takes longer for the players to figure out exactly what the Defense and Armor values are for their opponents, which helps keep them on their toes and makes Creature/Horror Analysis/Lore more powerful. Also it means that Hardened Armor neither screws up the players' calculus nor gets instantly revealed.

I found as a GM that I could calculate the Successes, then adjust for armor well within the time it took the players to make the Damage Roll. Changing the Step, while fun (as long as it doesn't put you at Step 19), just plain takes longer.

Outside voice: Good hit, roll damage.
Inside voice: They beat the Physical Defense by 12, which is three Successes. Three Successes means +4 Damage. 5 Physical Armor means I subtract 1 from their result.

Spader

Post by Spader » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:38 pm

As a rule of thumb, you only roll the steps written with ink on your sheet. The idea is to prevent players wasting their time checking the step table at every roll.

But on the other hand, some of my players prefer to adjust his dice pool for every roll and I don't mind.