question: skill points at creation

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Bonhumm
question: skill points at creation

Post by Bonhumm » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:08 am

Heya all.

Unless I've miss something in the rules about it, what would you say would be the rules concerning which skills can be purchase at creation (i.e. with the original 8 points with the usual rank 3 maximum).

would it be:

- Novice skills only
- Both Novice and Journeyman skills
- Both Novice and Journeyman skills BUT Journeyman skills cost more (like maybe a 2:1 ratio)

Thank you.

etherial

Re: question: skill points at creation

Post by etherial » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:30 am

Bonhumm wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:08 am
Heya all.

Unless I've miss something in the rules about it, what would you say would be the rules concerning which skills can be purchase at creation (i.e. with the original 8 points with the usual rank 3 maximum).

would it be:

- Novice skills only
- Both Novice and Journeyman skills
- Both Novice and Journeyman skills BUT Journeyman skills cost more (like maybe a 2:1 ratio)

Thank you.
Novice only. The sentence in question was accidentally cut out of the book in final layout but I believe it appears in the FAQ. Characters can pick up Journeyman Skills with Legend.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:03 am

Etherial is correct. Novice-tier skills only at character creation.

(Unless the GM allows otherwise, obviously.)
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:11 am

Thank you.

One more question however:

I've noticed something about the Combat options:

Aggressive Attack lacks the usual 'melee attacks only' line and replaced it by 'close combat', I wonder if it means that a missile/throwing weapon user that is inside the melee range of an attacker can use that?

Most importantly, the Defensive Stance now lacks ANY references as whether this can only be done with melee weapons. Would an Archer be able to use this?

Thank you again.

Panda

Post by Panda » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:52 am

"Melee" somewhat refers to melee weapons and gets the question: can this be used with unarmed attacks? Close combat is a catch-all for melee and unarmed attacks. Missile and thrown weapons even at no range aren't close combat.

Anyone can use Defensive Stance.

etherial

Post by etherial » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:06 pm

Panda wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:52 am
"Melee" somewhat refers to melee weapons and gets the question: can this be used with unarmed attacks? Close combat is a catch-all for melee and unarmed attacks. Missile and thrown weapons even at no range aren't close combat.

Anyone can use Defensive Stance.
Missile and Thrown Weapons can't be used at no range.
FASA Games, on ED4PG393, wrote:If an attacker is within the minimum range given for his ranged weapon, he cannot attack with ranged combat.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:40 pm

There's a Rank 3 Missile/Throwing Weapons knack in the upcoming Companion that allows it for 1 Strain (called "Point Blank Shot")
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:49 pm

I know there is a rule about that but personally:

Q:What is the minimum range for Missile weapons?
A: What's the length of your arrow/bolt?

Q: What is the range for Throwing Weapons?
A: Whats the length of your arm? (OK, plus, say, half the length of the weapon itself)

As long as the string/arm is fully deployed, the weapon has already achieved its maximum velocity.
Last edited by Bonhumm on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:24 pm

That's true, but the minimum distance reflects the difficulty of drawing a bead on someone who is close enough to reach out and push the bow to the side. I do think there should be an option to attack within the minimum range, but it should be penalized. A knack is good. Probably a realistic approach would to give the ranged attacker penalties to hit and to defenses, but not damage. Maybe even a bonus to damage, since as you point out the missile is at maximum velocity right then.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:37 am

Slimcreeper wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:24 pm
That's true, but the minimum distance reflects the difficulty of drawing a bead on someone who is close enough to reach out and push the bow to the side.
Despite the same distance, the same 'someone' does not get 'to reach and push the weapon away' in melee combat, that would be parry/disarm/whatever.