2-handed weapon house rule.

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Slimcreeper
2-handed weapon house rule.

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Hey kids, it's just me causing problems again.

Two-handed weapons use Strength to hit (Melee Weapons + Strength), rather than Dexterity.

Boom! Done. Discuss.

(I'm kind of serious. I know I sometimes throw stuff out here with the expectation that it will just get knocked down so that a conversation starts, but I think this could address Dex being kind of a God stat in combat. I mean, no one could afford to dump it, because even an Obsidiman with a pole-arm wants a decent physical defense, as well as some ranged options, but it makes your big guys scarier in combat, which I believe is appropriate. I don't know if it makes Trolls and Obsidimen just too much, but I think it's probably okay.)

Tattered Rags

Re: 2-handed weapon house rule.

Post by Tattered Rags » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:54 pm

This would mean strength would affect both one's ability to hit as well as how much damage they do. Seems unbalanced.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

Panda

Post by Panda » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:14 pm

The biggest issue is the spread of Dexterity and Strength bonuses, and the assumptions built around that. Dexterity is tightly bound because of the issues associated with high and low values (this also applies to Perception and Charisma), while Strength is given considerably more leeway because the impact is rather lower. Allowing accuracy through Strength means obsidimen with two-handed swords can get a significant boost for minimal cost, making everyone wonder why bother with anything else? At the opposite end of the spectrum are windlings who now suffer mightily when using polearms.

Giving the choice of stats fixes the latter, but nothing for the problems created in the former. Some may not see those as problems at all, in which case, go forth and enjoy yourselves!

Hopefully this is helpful. Please let me know if there are any questions, or anything further I can do.

Best regards,

Morgan

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:46 pm

I think I can generate enough situations where being a 900 lb Namegiver with a polearm would be disadvantageous, especially if you dumped Dexterity, to keep it from being the default. Small spaces, social situations, climbing, archers perched in trees, cliffs or airships No one would want to go toe-to-toe with said Obsidiman, but no one should want to! Right as it stands, an elf warrior can get into melee with the Obsidiman and expect to do pretty well, because Dex boosts Defense and to-hit which boosts damage while high strength just boosts damage. The heavies just aren't as scary as I think they ought to be.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm okay with windlings not loving pole-arms, although that didn't really occur to me. It's not like they are going to get a reach advantage on anyone! Lances are one-handed when they are charging, so they are still awesome Cavalrymen.

I'm sure there are issues that I haven't considered, especially at higher levels, though.

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:53 am

Slimcreeper wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:46 pm
Dex boosts...to-hit which boosts damage while high strength just boosts damage. The heavies just aren't as scary as I think they ought to be.
DEX boosts damage at a 5:2 ratio, but only in excess of the enemy's PD, whereas STR does it at a 1:1 ratio. Your suggestion would cause it to boost damage at a 1:1 + 5:2 ratio (in excess of PD). Plus, the idea of DEX increasing damage is based around the thought of a well-aimed strike. STR bonus to damage is based on the brute force of your attack. It's a matter of someone having the ability to CONTROL their sword versus someone having the ability to SWING HARD. Each requires a different kind of strength. (Take a look at Ido Portal for some indication of the display of the kind of strength related to control.)

And Panda's comment about Windlings is important. It's not so much that taking away DEX makes it so they aren't threatening. It makes them worthless as fighters. Comparative to any other race they will hit rarely and for very little. They already hit for very little. Sure, they're hard to hit, but eventually that strong Obsidiman will hit them while the Windling does literally nothing.

If you really, really WANT to have STR impact the to-hit, then at least still allow DEX to work. Perhaps penalize the STR-based attack rolls to represent the lack of finesse of wild swings. Or don't penalize it, whatever, but at least don't take away DEX as an option.

Edit: I only just realized this was only in reference to 2-handed weapons, despite reading the topic numerous times. Still, I stand behind my comments as still being applicable.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:58 am

Here's an alternative suggestion, as well: any attack made two-handed gains a bonus of half STR to the attack roll, suffering from the same limitations as any two-handed weapon would normally have, even if the weapon isn't normally two-handed.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:01 am

I’ve always thought of strength as including innate sense of how to apply power in a coordinated manner. Not just how much can you bench, but can you use your hips and legs to drive a punch.

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:03 am

Slimcreeper wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:01 am
I’ve always thought of strength as including innate sense of how to apply power in a coordinated manner. Not just how much can you bench, but can you use your hips and legs to drive a punch.
That's dexterity. It's still a measure of muscle strength, but not in raw power delivery. Instead it's your ability to move quickly and with precision. Which still requires very toned muscles. A video gamer might have great hand-eye coordination, but they would be dexterous. A dancer, on the other hand, is STRONG, but not necessarily able to lift much (a lot of it is in their legs, but the need to put arms in exactly the right spots can't be underestimated). A linebacker, on the other other hand needs to stop another 300 pound guy from moving. That's power!

Further, moving with speed and coordination defines the very essence of being able to hit something that's trying not to be hit.

Edit: Using your hips and legs to drive a punch is still about power, not about placing your fist on the mark. But that probably falls under Unarmed Combat, not base attributes.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:17 am

So dancer with pole-arm vs. linebacker with pole-arm: fight!

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:29 pm

That's literally what happens in a certain Game of Thrones season-finale: The dancer wins, and rightfully so. Until a botched awareness/perception-check...