Windling Scouts & Astral Sight

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
ottdmk
Windling Scouts & Astral Sight

Post by ottdmk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:06 pm

Hey all,

I was looking at creating a Windling Scout. Now, Windlings get Astral Sight as a Racial Talent, and advance it at the Legend Point costs for a Novice Talent. Scouts, meanwhile, get Astral Sight as a Discipline Talent at Sixth Circle, raising it as a Journeyman Talent.

So, do Windling Scouts get a Legend Point discount? Or would a Windling Scout be foolish to raise Astral Sight through the Racial Talent, as they'd need to do it over again? Or would it be like Talent Options from an original Discipline, where the cost of raising Astral Sight would just go up after it becomes a Discipline Talent?

Bonhumm

Re: Windling Scouts & Astral Sight

Post by Bonhumm » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:20 am

I've run into the very same problem recently with my own Windling Scout.

The 'real' scout discipline is not very windling friendly (Astral Sight is an issue but so is climbing, why would someone who fly need this?)

So you would have to sit down with your GM and figure out what to do. I would suggest taking the Windscout discipline from 1/2/3rd Edition (http://pandagaminggrove.blogspot.ca/201 ... ne-24.html) and adapt it for 4th Edition with your GM for talents that might not exist now.

Otherwise, if you have to stick with the 'real' scout you could ask the GM to adapt the discipline slightly: Mine decided that since I already had Astral Sight as racial, that once I had it as a Talent it would automatically begins at 1 (instead of 0) AND that I would use the Novice price range to increase it instead of the 'proper' Journeyman price range that the 6th circle talent would normally cost. He also removed climbing and allowed me to take a talent from the Novice talents pool instead.

That's rather funny because I'm currently asking the devs to publish a canon list of talents, talents options and circle bonuses for the special Racial disciplines that 4th ED has not addressed yet so that we could have canon rules about them. (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=712#p5545)

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 am

I think the racial Talent does not allow Karma to be spent on rolls, the DT does.

You could treat it the same as Talent Options becoming Discipline Talents, so that it becomes a DT the moment you hit 6th circle and uses Journeyman-cost for raises from that point on. That way you trade the lower cost to raise it further for the ability to spend Karma. For climbing, as was said above, you could trade it with a Talent Option that makes more sense

etherial

Post by etherial » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:31 pm

I would argue that the Racial Access makes it more like a Discipline Talent than a Talent Option. It should stay at the Novice cost but you can spend Karma once you hit Sixth Circle.