High Circle Preview: Sky Raider

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
The Undying
Re: High Circle Preview: Sky Raider

Post by The Undying » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:35 am

Pixel's post made me look at this Discipline preview again, and I've got a separate question from his based on my work trying to standardize Healing for my ED world.
Mataxes wrote:The talent gives additional Recovery tests per day = Rank, but those tests can only be used to power talents that require a Recovery test. So Fireblood/Blood of Death's Sea, Vital Strike, Vital Ward on the Sky Raider list.
So, Burning Vigor provides RT that can't be used for RT, only things that consume RT. Does that mean ALL things that consume RT, or some arbitrary limit on "things Sky Raider's have native access to"? Wood Skin and Earth Skin would both benefit from this. The Elementalist spell Grove Renewal would also benefit from this. Frighteningly, things immediately veer off into bizarro land with a Sky Raider Multi-Disciplining into Elementalism or vice versa - this is a LARGE pool that can be used to heal a bunch of people, effectively spreading the RT as actual RT across an entire party multiple times over (at RANK 9, a Sky Raider + Elementalist in a three Adept party basically removes all damage healing worries).

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:52 am

Used to power talents. Not going to use with Grove Renewal

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:06 am

RazanMG wrote:Used to power talents. Not going to use with Grove Renewal
Are you basis that on the preview and comments to this point or on the Talent preview provided to backers? If the former, could either be a summarization issue or an assumption made that that is all "RT that can't be used for RT" would be used for. If the latter, that's good enough (though an explicit "(not spells, etc)" would go a long way.

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:16 pm

The Undying wrote:
RazanMG wrote:Used to power talents. Not going to use with Grove Renewal
Are you basis that on the preview and comments to this point or on the Talent preview provided to backers? If the former, could either be a summarization issue or an assumption made that that is all "RT that can't be used for RT" would be used for. If the latter, that's good enough (though an explicit "(not spells, etc)" would go a long way.
I think RazanMG is basing that on the part of your post I bolded below.
The Undying wrote:Pixel's post made me look at this Discipline preview again, and I've got a separate question from his based on my work trying to standardize Healing for my ED world.
Mataxes wrote:The talent gives additional Recovery tests per day = Rank, but those tests can only be used to power talents that require a Recovery test. So Fireblood/Blood of Death's Sea, Vital Strike, Vital Ward on the Sky Raider list.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Right right right. I agree, it has been said that it only applies to talents that require RT. I just want to make sure that it IS just Talents, since there are other things that can use RT. Could be I'm being pedantic. I'd just like confirmation that, the way it's written, it doesn't allow use for things other than Talents. A Talent that says "These RT cannot be used for RT tests" on a Discipline that only have other means to use them via Talents can easily assume by context that those RT are only used for Talents; however, during the design, it's possible that edge cases weren't being examined, like Grove Renewal and Vital Springs, and as a result, the text used in the Talent description leaves this open. Meanwhile, a Talent that says "Theses RT can only be used for Talents" is pretty explicit. I'm just curious if it really is the latter or if there was an assumption made with the actual Talent text ending up as the former.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:22 pm

PiXeL01 wrote:I was wondering what the Skyraiders Master Optional talents are since they are not listed on the page
You're right. (Whoops!)

I've updated the post, but here's the list:

Master Talent Options: Aura Armor, Champion Challenge, Critical Hit, Eagle Eye, Second Chance, Temper Flesh, Undermine, Weapon Breaker
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

etherial

Post by etherial » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:19 pm

The Undying wrote:I'm just curious if it really is the latter or if there was an assumption made with the actual Talent text ending up as the former.
Talent text is generally written under the assumption that dirty, dirty humans pick up the Talent with Versatility and will need to understand how to use the Talent regardless of what the Disciplines say or do.

Yes, the Talent text says "which may only be spent on talents". For now, anyway. FASA could always change it before printing if it needs to say something else, which is why they released the text to Backers in the first place.

Loba

Post by Loba » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Lys wrote:It's true that Sky Raiders do not seem to be a very popular Discipline, probably because they are so tightly bound to the culture of the Crystal Raider clans, but people do play them. They're usually Trolls, but sometimes people go for something more unique, like Elves or Tskrang.
I'm with you here. Though I often encourage the bloodthirsty to try it out. Not the current game, but the last one we had a Sky Raider and it was glorious. I should point out it was a human Sky Raider.

Loba

Post by Loba » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:35 pm

Lys wrote:If you think the thunderbolt is too strong to let the players exempt their allies at will then make it weaker, and if it's too strong to allow its use multiple times a day (though i honestly don't see how that would be the case), then make it weaker still. All i want is the ability to blast my enemies with lightning without frying my friends or crippling myself with a gazillion wounds because it's the fifth fight of the day. Is that too much to ask?
LOL.
I honestly like awe inspiring powers that are limited. It's nice to bring down the power of nuclear weapons once in a while - but not always.

Though I do agree - it's a bit of housekeeping. Would be nice if either you declare at usage Rank people safe (this should keep all of your party of Raiders safe if a Drakkar) or you declare everyone who attends your Karma Ritual safe - which allows you to essentially grant immunity to all the Sky Raiders involved while still endangering citizens or such. But tracking at the time of Ritual 12 people is a pain.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:46 pm

etherial wrote:Talent text is generally written under the assumption that dirty, dirty humans pick up the Talent with Versatility and will need to understand how to use the Talent regardless of what the Disciplines say or do.
You know, I don't know why, but Versatility just never comes to mind. You make a great point - with this thing lurking, any being a prominent racial feature, I imagine a good amount of details and potential hiccups get identified and sorted. Thanks