High Circle Preview: Sky Raider

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
PiXeL01
Re: High Circle Preview: Sky Raider

Post by PiXeL01 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:08 am

Thank you again for the updated page ^^

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:12 am

etherial wrote:Talent text is generally written under the assumption that dirty, dirty humans pick up the Talent with Versatility and will need to understand how to use the Talent regardless of what the Disciplines say or do.
Yeah. Even with the tweaks we made to it, there are many cases where a limit is in place to keep Versatility from shattering the world. In a Discipline progression we can (mostly) avoid ridonkulous combos. But Versatility... oy.

Don't get me wrong, I love it... but it can cause some serious design headaches.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Lys

Post by Lys » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:37 am

Loba wrote:I'm with you here. Though I often encourage the bloodthirsty to try it out. Not the current game, but the last one we had a Sky Raider and it was glorious. I should point out it was a human Sky Raider.
We have a Too-Old-For-This-Shit Highland Troll Warrior. He told his Moot they could all go fuck themselves with the pretence that there's glory in theft and murder, then he left. Yet he's still a heavily armed ill-tempered troll, who is capable of astounding quantities of violence with little provocation. The Human Thief even commented, "Di’oq Flamequencher is an engine of chaos and devastation the likes of which even Sky Raiders would be envious. I am convinced that they forced him to learn the ways of the Warrior Adepts to try and contain his natural tendency for unchecked and all encompassing destruction." So it's kind of like having a Sky Raider in the group, except he hates everything Sky Raiders stand for. He's not too fond of Swordmasters either, so naturally she calls him "best buddy" and hangs out with him all the time.
Loba wrote:I honestly like awe inspiring powers that are limited. It's nice to bring down the power of nuclear weapons once in a while - but not always. Though I do agree - it's a bit of housekeeping. Would be nice if either you declare at usage Rank people safe (this should keep all of your party of Raiders safe if a Drakkar) or you declare everyone who attends your Karma Ritual safe - which allows you to essentially grant immunity to all the Sky Raiders involved while still endangering citizens or such. But tracking at the time of Ritual 12 people is a pain.
It wouldn't be an issue if the power was once per day. It's the part where the cost increases with each use that i dislike. If you want to give it a cool down so it's once per fight, or once per day, or whatever that's fine, but don't make it more expensive each use. It just adds another thing to keep track of without actually adding anything to the game, either balance wise or thematically. Also as you say the way the exceptions are handled is unnecessarily clunky, and your ideas would work much better. Besides that, the power itself is crazy awesome. Giving Sky Raiders the ability to call forth the lightning is metal as hell, and i love it.