Familiars

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Dyrmagnos
Familiars

Post by Dyrmagnos » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:32 pm

I want to ask about idea of familiars in both 3-rd and 4-th edition.
In 3-rd edition Familiar Oath compared to Blood Sworn is just pathetic.

I know that its just for fluff and feeling that you have your loyal and trusted companion etc. But still its mechanically bad - 4 Blood Dmg for a mage is a huge amount and most effects are not worth of taking it.

As Beastmaster you have anyway Blood Share, Animal Talk and Animal Possession.
As Elementalist you cant use Animal Possession + can talk with spirit in other way, Spell Matrix is very situational and you have to pay for it LP as for a normal matrix item. Additionally death of Spirit Familiar is just a disaster because you cant rise him by last chance or similar effect.

In few weeks i will be able to make ritual with my Air Spirit and there is a question - Could you reveal a little bit of your plans about familiars in 4-th edition?

The Undying

Re: Familiars

Post by The Undying » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:39 pm

Mataxes would have to confirm, but I have a recollection that, buried somewhere in the old forum, he or Panda said there were no plans to re-introduce Familiars in ED4 Player Companion due to space constraints.

Anyways, that being said, I'd say that some things exist for fun/flavor moreso that "most leet stats dawg" mechanics. Skills are a great example for this. In theory, characters are personalities with interests and aspirations that aren't about finding the most efficient way to hit something. There are lots of great Skills, especially the Art/Craft oriented things, that have very little impact on gameplay. A player CAN invest in it, and get more of a sense of depth to their character through their use, do interesting things with the abilities, perhaps develop more interaction options with NPCs, but realistically, from a mechanical point of view, spending the LP there is really just slowing down Circle advancement.

Plus, keep in mind that your interest as a player in Thing X serves as a signal to your GM that "you are interested in stuff similar to Thing X." Honestly, some GMs are time-constrained and just don't have much opportunity to add custom content. However, if/when they do, having a familiar could lead to some interesting side-quests focusing on your familiar, making your character kind of the spotlight for that quest (which is cool). You might also just start seeing more familiars in the universe, because you've expressed interest in it. And you may get side-quest requests from NPCs because of problems with their familiars, because you've expressed interest in it.

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:43 am

From the old forums:
Panda wrote: Re: Familiars
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 11:18 am

Magic_Octopus wrote:
I hear they are going to be omitted from the 4th edition?

This is not correct. Mechanics for familiars are not detailed in the Player's Guide, but this does not mean they have been removed from the edition. The Player's Guide was already significantly over the initially planned page count, which means cuts. Familiars are not a core part of the game, which means it was an easy section to move to a future book.
And
Mataxes wrote: Site Admin
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 12:13 pm

There are not currently any plans for them to be in the GM Guide, so the Companion is most lilkely.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:32 am

Well, there you are. :) Partial broken memory on my part. Maybe we'll still see them in ED4 Companion!

Dyrmagnos

Post by Dyrmagnos » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:53 am

Ok. I found that topic and there is no precise information so leave it.

What do you think guys about familiars in Earthdawn and mechanical aspect of this Oath?
Our beastmaster has ethandrill as animal familiar and because we changed to 4-th edition there is no stats/capability difference between him and random ethandrill that is animal companion of beastmaster (animal companion durability, enhance animal companion, animal training beastmaster has anyway).

I get that actuall mechanic is just ok for non beastmaster combatants with high death rating but what with the rest? With disciplines that have familiars most common ( i think elementalist/beastmaster)?
Any idea how to make familiars more important than just another page in player character sheet?
Its definitely more impactful for the character in normal life than any thread item and how to show it in rules?

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:03 am

My recommendation: go with the latest variant of the rules you have, as long as they don't import broken system (e.g., carrying a 3ED system that relies on armor defeat would be a very bad idea, too much has changed). Make sure the GM and players are both on the same page that, as soon as ED4 Player's Companion comes out, you switch over, for better or for worse, and any cost changes are immediately accrued or credited. In a way, yeah, you're buy sight-unseen, but the general feel I've personally had with system changes into ED4 has been for the better. But, by the same token, I also wouldn't really expect overwhelming change in the mechanics - if you think the current stuff just isn't strong enough, even marginally improvements in ED4 probably won't make you happy enough with it.

Dyrmagnos

Post by Dyrmagnos » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:55 pm

I tried to start this discussion to help game developers and maybe they use some ideas posted here in final prules and you are closing any brainstorm by this post.

As i wrote in 4 ed adepts lost main bonus of having familiar - familiar durability. Standard familiar disciplines like elementalists/cavaliers/beastmasters have no real benefits from ritual.

I think community after publishing players and gm guide and with general knowledge about system mechanics can have interesting ideas and some advices for publishers so any houserules/chnges are welcome.

PS: I dont want to be offensive but i want to get companion as good as good it can be.
PS2: Sorry for my writing style - im not native :)

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:06 pm

Dyrmagnos wrote:I tried to start this discussion to help game developers and maybe they use some ideas posted here in final prules and you are closing any brainstorm by this post.
Calm, man - deep breathes. I just suggested a recommended way to tackle the edition changes, and I gave you my perspective on likely changes when the material is introduced. Not sure how I'm closing any brainstorming by making that post. Take it or leave it, it is entirely up to you.