Talent: Close In

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Bonhumm
Talent: Close In

Post by Bonhumm » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:22 pm

Heya all.

Questions for you wise ones about the Close In talent (Kratas sourcebook, p:224)

1- The rule is pretty clear on how to initiate the close in but not so clear on how the opponent can disengage.

The rule says:

The target can try to break off by using the Going Into a Weapon (Shield) combat option in the following rounds,

The rule about Going Into a Weapon combat option is unclear to my opinion (I'm assuming I must be using the 3rd Edition rule since Kratas was 3rd edition, so Players Guide (3rd) page:230).

am I right to assume that:

a- as the Close In talent's target is the PHY DEF of the opponent, all the mechanics about initiative/weapon size from the Going Into a Weapon combat option does not apply to the user, that the mechanics (as the text in Close In talents seems to specify) only applies on how to disengage from it?

b- the Going into Weapon combat says that to counter this, the opponent must win an initiative test with a penalty of the difference between the size of the 2 weapons (so a broadsword (3) against a dagger (1) would get a -2 step to initiative. To disengage it would need to beat the user's own initiative. Is this right?

c- assuming 'b' is right, would that -2 step stack with the already -2 steps the target has from being harried? Since the talent clearly state that the EFFECT of failing an attempt to disengage does stack I would think so.

d- that Close In has also the same effect as Going Inside a Shield (i.e. removing the shield armor bonus from the target)?

2- Would you consider the target harried only against the user or against any other attackers? I can see arguments for both sides:

no: the target has only 1 (so far) opponent, the harried status is coming from the fact that the user is 'way too close' for his comfort. The other opponents are not 'that' close.

yes: the harried status comes from the fact that the target 'can't keep up' from having someone inside his weapon/shield range so, just like when +4 many people attacks him at the same time, his concentration is failing.

ottdmk

Re: Talent: Close In

Post by ottdmk » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:14 pm

Sorry, can't help; never got the Kratas book in either of the editions it's published in. Sounds like fun though; maybe eventually it'll be updated to work with 4th.