Theran Name-givers 4th Edition

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Geekabilly
Theran Name-givers 4th Edition

Post by Geekabilly » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:04 pm

Hey all,

I did originally post some of this content on the old Fasa forums, but I thought I'd put it here. I'm currently working on expanding the information from the 1st edition Theran Empire book for 4th Edition as I'm planning a Theran campaign soon. Firstly, I'm updating the four Name-giver races from Theran Empire to 4th and also adding some new Name-givers and Disciplines.

In case anyone is interested, here are the dropbox links to the updated Name-givers. The artwork is done by my wife.

Jackalmen
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwlhe6cnv0rz0 ... .docx?dl=0

Jubruq
https://www.dropbox.com/s/00xtd7tft45fn ... .docx?dl=0

Leafers
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnyyzlqr7kcqr ... .docx?dl=0

On The Leafers : Updated background information and in-character accounts
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c23if54my68a9 ... .docx?dl=0

The Ulk Men are next, along with an Elf variant called the Cel'tani who come from my campaign's version of Britain. There are also two Disciplines = Griffin Raider and Berserker done up to 8th Circle, I'm just waiting on my wife for some artwork.
Last edited by Geekabilly on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

Slimcreeper

Re: Theran Name-givers 4th Edition

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:32 pm

That is like the one book that I never got. Thanks for sharing this stuff!

Geekabilly

Post by Geekabilly » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:34 pm

You're welcome. My issue with the Name-givers in the Theran Empire book is that none of them are particularly playable, so that was something I wanted to correct. The book itself is quite interesting, it can be a bit hit and miss with some of the provinces but it's worth it just for Vasgothia. I'm currently expanding upon the Vasgothia content greatly with new Disciplines, Name-givers, Horrors, Secret Societies and locations within the province to really flesh it out for a campaign. I did send a 10,000 word proposal for a Vasgothia book to FASA, but never heard anything. I have continued with the book however as I truly believe it can be a great setting for Earthdawn outside of Barsaive. Who knows, in the near future I may be able to put out a fan made PDF of the Vasgothia material when it's ready.

I'll try and get links for the other stuff as soon as I can, I'm off to Japan for 10 days soon, so there may be a wait.

Geekabilly

Post by Geekabilly » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:53 pm

As a small update, I have added the in character information on the Leafers from the Vasgothia sourcebook I was working on. This contains all the word count on Leafers from the Theran Empire and brand new and expanded in character accounts and information designed to flesh out the Leafers and their background.

I apologise in advance for any grammatical mistakes, I haven't been over this material in a while, I hope you find it a nice compliment to the updated 4th edition Leafer rules.
Last edited by Geekabilly on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 pm

I liked the concept of the Leafers in the Theran Empire book, but was totally turned off by their unisex and rigidly territorial natures (really, let's make the plant-characters _even_more_alien_ than the Obsidimen? really?). May have to check this out later.

Geekabilly

Post by Geekabilly » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:55 pm

Telarus wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 pm
I liked the concept of the Leafers in the Theran Empire book, but was totally turned off by their unisex and rigidly territorial natures (really, let's make the plant-characters _even_more_alien_ than the Obsidimen? really?). May have to check this out later.
I honestly don't think that the writers intended to make the Leafers more alien than the Obsidimen. Regrading their territorial natures; they're only territorial against other Leafers, this coupled with their hatred of the Vasgothian tribes is quite telling of their true nature. As far as my interpretation goes the Leafers were created by one of the old Vasgothian Passions that was nearly killed by the Horrors during the Scourge. In order to survive in some kind of capacity, this Passion split itself into various 'shards' that became the Leafers. The reason that Leafers cannot abide their own kind is a safety mechanism, an echo of the Passion they once belonged to. As far as their hatred of the Vasgothian tribes goes, I would say that too comes from the same Passion. As the tribes are ancestors of those Vasgothians who fought alongside the Passions and failed to defeat the Horrors, the Leafers, on a subconscious level, blame the Vasgothian tribes for this failure.

I think one of the main things to consider with Vasgothia is just how important the war between the Passions and the Horrors was. It's coloured a lot of history and background in the Province and it's created some very strange magical phenomena, the Leafers being just one.