character help - versatility, spells, and non-magicians

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Jason
Re: character help - versatility, spells, and non-magicians

Post by Jason » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:03 pm

delroland wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:03 pm
etherial wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:47 pm
It can be purchased exactly once. As a Discipline Benefit, Spellcasters get two extra for free.
Is this the official rule, or is this your opinion? If the former, would you provide a citation?
See page 85 related to learning more then one as a talent option.

As to your belief that it can be purchased multiple times, could you provide a citation on how you get to that belief? Because if versatility allowed one to pick up more then 1x of a talent, there are multiples that a Human could use to be better then others... Including learning extra matrices.
Play my game jam games - made by one person in a limited time frame (usually 48 hours)

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:10 pm

Actually its like this:
Spell Disciplines can have 1 Spell Matrix, 1 Enhanced Matrix as Talent Options. Even getting another casting Discipline wont let you take another Matrix talent.

Versatility lets you buy 1 Spell Matrix talent, 1 Enhanced Matrix and so on.

2 Free Matrix for mages are discipline only creations. They only go up with Circle of that spellcasting discipline. So even getting them with Versatility gives you nothing as your spellcasting Discipline Circle = 0.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Are you saying that versatility would allow the purchase of other discipline special abilities also?
Play my game jam games - made by one person in a limited time frame (usually 48 hours)

delroland

Post by delroland » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:12 pm

Jason wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:03 pm
See page 85 related to learning more then one as a talent option.
I don't have access to the Player's Guide at the moment (I'm about 10000 miles from home right now), can you quote the passage in question?
As to your belief that it can be purchased multiple times, could you provide a citation on how you get to that belief? Because if versatility allowed one to pick up more then 1x of a talent, there are multiples that a Human could use to be better then others... Including learning extra matrices.
It comes down to the fact that all four magicians start with two Standard Matrices and are still able to purchase the talent as an optional talent. No other discipline that receives a bonus talent has the ability to purchase said talent again (and really, there wouldn't be much point), but Standard Matrix seems to be an exception to that rule. Furthermore, note that the bonus Standard Matrices rank up automatically with circle, but the purchased one would not. Thus, having to rank up one or more Standard Matrix talents with Legend Points seems more than balanced when interacting with Versatility.

If there was explicit text stating magicians are allowed multiple copies of the talent as an exception to the rule, then this would be a clear cut issue. But since said text doesn't exist, the implication is that there is no exception to the rule, but rather that the talent can be taken by anyone with access to it multiple times.

That's my reasoning, anyway, and that's why I'd like to see the rule that contradicts my interpretation, if one exists.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:18 pm

Versatility is cool, and provides a nice bit of flavor to humans, but it's a serious pain in the ass. It means we don't just need to look at talent combos within a Discipline when creating talents, but also how it might combo with other talents through Versatility. When you've got a couple hundred talents... things can be missed. (That's not really related to this, but just a general feeling I have about Versatility.)

I don't have an official stance on matrices through Versatility.

Personally, I think if you want to cast spells, you should probably be a magician. using Versatility isn't a very effective or efficient way to do that. I mean, you can, but you're spending (relatively) a lot of Legend for not as much impact even before you get to the question of matrices. You can't spend Karma on thread weaving/spellcasting tests for Versatile versions of those talents, and you don't have access to the options available through extra threads (those are based on your magician circle, which you don't have).

Matrices are in a unique place in ED4 -- it's the only talent where you have a reason to learn it more than once. It's also established each matrix is individual and tracked individually in terms of what spell it contains. I think it's ultimately a limitation of the talent system and its interactions with the "reality" of the game world.

Each table needs to decide what works best for them. There are a number of ways to approach it, and it reaches beyond just matrices in terms of things to consider.

* You can't learn "free talents" with Versatility. (The consequences of this mean you can't learn Air Sailing from Air Sailors, or Navigation from Scouts. Those are both talents that make a lot of sense to pick up under Versatility, and it makes sense that you should be able to learn them from those Disciplines.)
* "Free talents" are still talents, and so can be learned as if they were a talent. (This gives you more potential matrices, and other normal talents from adepts who get them for free, but opens up access to the broader "Entertainer" and "Craftsman" talents that are given to Troubadours/Weaponsmiths as a way to give them abilities they should have, but don't make sense as a bunch of discrete talents, and are more strongly defining an aspect of their half-magic. The abilities aren't especially powerful, so it's not game breaking or anything, but it does potentialyl steal some flavor from those Disciplines.)
* Setting aside the free talents, are matrices from different Magician Disciplines different for this purpose? That is, could Versatility be used to pick up the optional matrix from Elementalist and Wizard? (I don't like or condone this option, to be honest. It echoes the "Discipline specific" matrices from ED2, which I never thought were a good way to limit casters. And matrix items are a thing.)

If you want to allow Versatility to learn more than one of each type of matrix, I would do a couple things:

* Limit the maximum number of matrices through Versatility to the limit full magicians have.
* Any "free" standard matrices learned need to be increased with Legend Points as if they were First Circle talents (with the cost increase required through Versatility).
* There is no free upgrade from Standard to Enhanced matrix. Full magicians end up with 2 Standard and 2 Enhanced (assuming they take the optional ones as extra), Versatility is limited to 3 Standard and 1 Enhanced.
* I'm torn on whether to allow human magicians to pick up the "option" from another magician rather than take it themselves. I would probably allow it, but not to exceed the normal limit. I mean... if they want to spend more points on something than they otherwise would, that's on them I guess. (Again, matrix items are a thing.)

And feel free to mix and match with regard to other free talents. Maybe you'll allow Air Sailing/Navigation/Call Missile/Danger Sense from Disciplines that get those for free, but not matrices or Entertainer/Craftsman. That's fine. Whatever you and your table agree on.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Dale

Post by Dale » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:52 pm

I recall seeing a chart in a previous edition book that laid out the maximum amount of matrix one could have. I've looked in 2nd edition core, 1st edition core/companion, and the 2 first edition magic supplements and can't locate it now. It might work as a guideline.

etherial

Post by etherial » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:53 pm

Dale wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:52 pm
I recall seeing a chart in a previous edition book that laid out the maximum amount of matrix one could have. I've looked in 2nd edition core, 1st edition core/companion, and the 2 first edition magic supplements and can't locate it now. It might work as a guideline.
It was ED3's attempt to fix the MultiDiscipline Spellcaster issue.

Anunnaki

Post by Anunnaki » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:41 am

Hiya,
etherial wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:53 pm
Dale wrote:
ED3 Player's Guide, p.134, if you have access and would like the reference. :)

Basically, it "capped" the maximum number of spell matrices magicians could learn, regardless of the number of Disciplines to which they belong, to:

Spell Matrices: 5
Enhanced Matrices: 4
Armored Matrices: 3
Shared Matrices: 3

Spell Matrix Objects are an exception to this rule.

Hope this helps!

Take kaer, James

Dale

Post by Dale » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:04 am

Anunnaki wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:41 am
Hiya,
etherial wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:53 pm
Dale wrote:
ED3 Player's Guide, p.134, if you have access and would like the reference. :)

Basically, it "capped" the maximum number of spell matrices magicians could learn, regardless of the number of Disciplines to which they belong, to:

Spell Matrices: 5
Enhanced Matrices: 4
Armored Matrices: 3
Shared Matrices: 3

Spell Matrix Objects are an exception to this rule.

Hope this helps!

Take kaer, James
Thats it. See, I'm not always tainted....err....crazy, yeah, crazy....

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:08 pm

Looking at the Player's Guide and the released material from the Companion, I think that you can probably buy more than one Matrix. "Each <MATRIX NAME> represents a separate talent with its own Rank, and is improved independently." This language is maintained for every Matrix type. Given that, I would say that a Spellcaster could buy Standard Matrix as their Talent Option on each circle up to Fourth if they want to, then Enhanced every circle through 8th, Armored through 12th and Shared through 15th should they want. Personally, I wouldn't go that way; there are so many useful Talents out there. I think it's possible though.

Edited to add:
And... somehow I missed that I hadn't read through the whole thread. Oops. I still think the language used supports my theory, but given that Mataxes has said a standard magician ends up with two Standard and two Enhanced, I would say my interpretation is wrong. Move along, nothing to see here... :D