Penalties to "all tests" vs "action tests" vs Resistance tests.

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Mataxes
Re: Penalties to "all tests" vs "action tests" vs Resistance tests.

Post by Mataxes » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:14 pm

etherial wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:51 pm
...indicating a deliberate change by RedBrick to not apply these penalties to defensive tests.
Weeeell.... that's assuming it wasn't a decision made based on (unexamined) assumptions about the way things worked.

This isn't intended as a sleight against the work done back in those days, by the way. There are enough examples in the forums of the same cropping up and biting my ass as well (Re: do you need to Item History "blank" key knowledge ranks on a thread item?), so I'm hardly one to talk.

To answer the question, at my table I've generally applied penalties to "action" rolls as well as "effect" rolls, if only for consistency and ease. After a little bit of consideration, I recognize the point of view of the arguments on each side, and I don't think it makes a huge mechanical difference one way or the other, as long as you're consistent at your own table.

Which, yeah, doesn't make it any easier for somebody trying to code a character sheet for a VTT, but... *shrug* I've got other plates in the air.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:14 pm

What, you don't got a plate guy?

etherial

Post by etherial » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:34 am

Mataxes wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:14 pm
This isn't intended as a sleight against the work done back in those days, by the way. There are enough examples in the forums of the same cropping up and biting my ass as well (Re: do you need to Item History "blank" key knowledge ranks on a thread item?), so I'm hardly one to talk.
I do hope there's a stone tablet somewhere with the list of things to systematize for ED5.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:22 am

etherial wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:34 am
I do hope there's a stone tablet somewhere with the list of things to systematize for ED5.
Fifth Edition?

*Outburst that is either hysterical weeping, or cackling mania. You can't tell.*
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:40 am

Quick! Somebody give that man more plates!