High Circle Preview: Nethermancer

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
The Undying
Re: High Circle Preview: Nethermancer

Post by The Undying » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:44 am

Mataxes wrote:Yes, it can be done later, if the character wishes. (Not sure why you would wait... I mean... 1 Blood Magic for +1 Step to a key Attribute? Kind of a no-brainer.)
Totally agree, can't imagine why someone WOULD NOT, but as soon as the word "can" is used, it just begs the questions.
Mataxes wrote:Here's the ones that do:

Beastmaster - +3 Toughness
Nethermancer - +3 Willpower
Scout - +3 Perception
Sky Raider - +3 Strength
Troubadour - +3 Charisma
Am I the only one that feels like there should be a DEX in there if only just to round it out? :D
Mataxes wrote:I appreciate the contributions, but when you don't have the full picture... they may not be applicable.
Oh, totally agree. Definitely not trying to say I'm RIGHT or my suggestion is BETTER/BEST, just trying to be helpful where I can be.

It's probably the developer in me, I just always shiver at the idea of repeated text. See it twice? Eh, okay. See it three times? Errr *twitch* See it four times? Must ... to be ... CONDENSE! So, for me, using something five times, even if it isn't used for all the Discipline, just makes sense. But, conversely, it also creates more jumping around, which doesn't help if you just want to create tear sheets for players. Pros and cons, forever and always.

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:00 am

Thieves should get both, no? Dex step up AND ignore darkness?

Or is that only me? ^^

Anyways, the previews are amazing and makes me long for the book to be in my hands

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:44 am

Looking back at this preview, I just want to make sure I'm seeing this progression right:

- Lion Heart (Option Talent @ Journey): Willpower replacement effect to resist effects allowing Willpower tests.

- Lion Spirit (Option Talent @ Warden): Add RANK to bonus to Mystic Defense and Social Defense against fear and intimidation effects.

- Nethersoul (Discipline Talent @ Circle 14): Bonus Mystic Armor, Bonuses to Mystic and Social Defense against fear and intimidation effects, and the same bonus to tests made to resist those effects.

First, just to be sure, with these three together, I could easily see a Nethermancer pulling a solid 20+ bonus versus fear/intimidation effects easily. Which is cool and totally in flavor. I just want to be sure this is the intent.

Second, just to be sure, Lion Heart is a replacement effect, Lion Spirit is a bonus, and the Nethersoul description in the preview uses the word "bonus." Will this portion of Nethersoul be basically a copy/paste of Lion Spirit?

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:12 am

Two more questions.

One: Matrix Sight, can we get a brief description of this?

I'm familiar with Matrix Strike, which includes the description "if the Adept has no way to see the Matrices, then one is chosen at random." Is Matrix Sight a renaming of this, perhaps expanded to include include both sight and strike? Or is it really just the ability to see spell matrices, in which case I'd love to hear ideas on how this is useful enough to fit a Discipline Talent spot.

Two: Morgan mentions that some Talents, specifically Astral Domain and Blood Insight in his examples, are informally designed to interact heavily with the Knack system. Will these Talents have enough oomph to be useful on their own, or are they pretty much just a new kind of Spellcasting that uses Knacks instead?