A mount being knocked down

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
ChrisDDickey
A mount being knocked down

Post by ChrisDDickey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:28 am

So it says that when a mount fails his knockdown test, the rider also gets knocked down.
I personally would like to see a trick riding test or sure mount test or something to see if the rider can end up upon his feet, but what I really want to know is does it always means the rider is unmounted as well?

Which is to say, if a mount is knocked down, the rider is also knocked down. To get remounted, the mount needs to stand up, and the rider needs to stand up, and one might presume that the rider needs to spend a standard action to remount. Assuming the rider can't jump up, that means getting remounted takes the rider two standard actions, one to stand up, and one to remount. Unless one can say that just because his mount is knocked down, and he goes down with it, he is not unmounted, or if one can say that if rider and mount both stand up the round, mounting is part of standing up or some such. Otherwise being knocked down leaves a mounted person vulnerable and useless for twice as long as a non-mounted character.

Comments? Opinions?

Slimcreeper

Re: A mount being knocked down

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:28 am

I think that rule's fair actually. The rider can kip up for a bit of strain, after all. Maybe a talent knack can offset it. The part I don't like about the riding rules is the sword dropping/knocked off when you attack.

etherial

Re: A mount being knocked down

Post by etherial » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:18 pm

ChrisDDickey wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:28 am
So it says that when a mount fails his knockdown test, the rider also gets knocked down.
I personally would like to see a trick riding test or sure mount test or something to see if the rider can end up upon his feet, but what I really want to know is does it always means the rider is unmounted as well?
If the mount has been Knocked Down, you've probably already used your Sure Mount Test for the round anyway.