5th circle elementalist karma ability

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Calamrin
5th circle elementalist karma ability

Post by Calamrin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Karma: The adept may spend a Karma point to target an additional ally with a spell he is casting.
Quick question really.

Does this apply only to spells that have the ability to add +r targets, or can it apply to self only spells?

Theres no range given...do you just adhere to the range given in the spell and assume self is a touch spell? (if it works with those), or is it a line of sight thing?

etherial

Re: 5th circle elementalist karma ability

Post by etherial » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Calamrin wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:12 pm
Does this apply only to spells that have the ability to add +r targets, or can it apply to self only spells?
I would not apply it to self only spells because that's what the Wizard Journeyman ability does. The spell keeps the range increment it already has, so this would be most useful for targeting a second target of a +Rank spell instead of tying another thread for +Rank or going above the maximum thread rules for a buff spell (or Water Spear).

Calamrin

Post by Calamrin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks Etherial, it makes a bit more sense with the water spear example.

It does seem odd though.... there 4 buff spells that extra threads give +1 target to... water spear, fireweave, grove renual and venemous fury.

Rest all give +rank targets for the thread.... how often are you going to often need to turn targets effected from 6 to 7 or 7 to 8?

That +1 target for a karma point seems to be something an elementalist would rarely have use for ...especially comparing it to the other 5th circle karma abilities for other classes!

I was just checking really....seemed very mediocre...was just wondering if id read it right.

Edit: wizards get to change self only to touch, so can do lots of people...so was clarifying the elementalist wasnt a version of that where could do one target

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Consider that in combat time, you may not want to take the round to weave the extra thread. And if the buff spell is 0 threads, you can spend Karma to give it to 2 allies.

Depending on party size, you could effectively get the same number of people in the same amount of time (2 and 2 vs. 0 and 4).

I'm curious if the different Karma abilities can be used at the same time. Could an Elementalist Wizard spend 2 Karma to make a Self spell to Range Touch, then affect 2 allies?

etherial

Post by etherial » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:56 pm

Dougansf wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:14 pm
I'm curious if the different Karma abilities can be used at the same time. Could an Elementalist Wizard spend 2 Karma to make a Self spell to Range Touch, then affect 2 allies?
Soitenly.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:11 pm

etherial wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:56 pm
Soitenly.
I think so too.

But since the Errata saying they can't allow multiple Karma on a roll, I'm not sure if they can on an action.

Calamrin

Post by Calamrin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:59 am

Another question, kind of related to this thread vaguely, as water spear was mentioned.

With extra successes the spell gives +2 effect....does that apply to the recovery test with water spear, or just the damaging versions of the spell?

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:46 am