Astral Sensing and Thread Sight

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Slimcreeper
Re: Astral Sensing and Thread Sight

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:39 pm

1st topic: I like to think of thread sight as more like thread touch - it is tactile rather than visual

2nd topic: In the edition I have they use giant spiders.

The Undying

Re: Astral Sensing and Thread Sight

Post by The Undying » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:20 pm

Mists: We used 1 Jethura.

AS/TS: its been a while since I actually read this content, but here's my thoughts...

As Slim mentioned before me, I see Thread Sight as more tactile. I'd almost call the name a misnomer, but I don't think that's a big deal. Thread Sight allows Adepts to interact with patterns in various ways. The big mechanical element in the game is Thread Items - if you want to weave a thread to a True Pattern, need to know where to anchor it and weave through. You aren't necessarily "seeing" it, especially in the sense of perceiving any qualities of it, you just get enough sense of it to know how to Threadweave to it. The novels expand this concept into thread puzzles, something initiates use to develop Threadweaving and Adepts use for practice or amusement. Personally, I'd also extend the concept to simple but interesting things - thread locks/handles come to mind, but only where it's obvious someone with threadweaving would interact with the thing.

Astral Sight is really the quality perception stuff, especially at range greater than touch. It allows identification of patterns and astral energies, to varying degrees. It allows observation of things on the astral plane (which you don't get at all with thread Sight); this is especially important for things that have no physical form. It allows differentiation, where one astral thing ends and another begins (the book gives the example of knowing that the True Pattern of a Thread Item sword is actually only located in the pummel gems or in the hilt rather than the blade).