Shield and Forge Armor, why not?

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Lursi
Re: Shield and Forge Armor, why not?

Post by Lursi » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:06 pm

One small spice I would like to add is the material component.
Being a material scientist related to crystals and their growth, I can tell you there is lots of magic in the process!

However, without the right ingredients, some qualities remain unachievable.

Out of pure gold you can only forge weapons of passion.

Call it Endurium if it is creating the right steel alloy or Disturbium when it raises the mystical armour. Let them find some and it will be nicer to have an endurium coated sword Than Broadswords+5.
It will however not be enough for the entire parties first and second weapon...

Regarding the dagger vs. Two handed discussion,

I consider 6 steps difference still important for the question of knockdown and achieving wounds.

Personally,I give the big axes and two handed swords a bonus to hit when they can freely stab and sweep. In closed quarters or tight formation, thatturns into a malus. (Can't take care of your back Buddy, your axe is flirting too much with my ears)

Mind, weapons have many degrees of freedom now to differentiate. You can house rule them to have initiative boost when your standard action is attacking (quaterstaff, light spear, dagger or rapier) they can give Extra success at +4 instead of +5 like maybe a heavy two handed axe...
A fun way to bring down unsuspecting heros is player x 2 grappling zombies. Most forget to go for their small weapons...

The original topic:
Using forge armour to increase the shattering threshold of a shield is a great addition to my house rules. I forgot who wrote it...
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.