Developer's Blog: "New Thread Item: Aetrin"

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
The Undying
Developer's Blog: "New Thread Item: Aetrin"

Post by The Undying » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:08 am

http://fasagames.com/2017/09/22/new-thread-item-aetrin/

From a Companion content point of view, are there practical examples of how the Enchanting rules are used to create some Thread Items? I think it's cool that the Companion may include some more Thread Items for GMs to pepper into their games, but really, I think this is a golden opportunity to provide said items while also applying the new Enchanting process to make them. Totally realize that not all Thread Items are made, they become, and even that many of the ones that were made used processes long lost. However, given the radical change ED4 brings to the Enchanting process, seems like at least maybe two example applications, with the resulting off-the-shelf Thread Items for GM use to boot, would be really worthwhile.

Mataxes

Re: Developer's Blog: "New Thread Item: Aetrin"

Post by Mataxes » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:26 pm

Yes.

There are several pages about creating custom enchanting patterns, and the different design elements that can be used (and how they modify the design and enchanting difficulties for the final item), along with what I hope is a comprehensive example of a character designing (and enchanting) an item.

While there are suggestions for the kind of effects different design aspects might relate to, there isn't a one-to-one relationship between a given item power and the aspect you need to factor into its creation. (For example, if you're making a sword that provides +1 PD at some point, there's nothing that says, "You must include one kernel of True earth.")
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

The Undying

Re: Developer's Blog: "New Thread Item: Aetrin"

Post by The Undying » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:04 pm

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, figured there were plenty of ways to get Effect X, but examples are always helpful