Is Multi-Disciplining Worth It?

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
PiXeL01
Re: Is Multi-Disciplining Worth It?

Post by PiXeL01 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:27 am

I assume karma only increases with the highest circle discipline, so from one source only.

Lys

Post by Lys » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:48 am

Jharp01 wrote:So trying to clarify for a character. If a member is multi-Discipline i am assuming that they still increase their max Karma for the Character correct.
ED4 Pg. 83: "A character’s maximum Karma is determined by his highest Discipline Circle, multiplied by the Karma Modifier for his race."

So max Karma is determined by the Adept's highest Circle, advancing in another Discipline does not increase it. This follows the general principle than an Multi-Discipline Adept only benefits from the best available bonus from her Disciplines, they are not added together.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:26 am

For me, the most complicated thing about multi-Discipline is Durability, and there's just no good way around that.

Say you have something insanely bizarre, like a Elementalist 5 / Scout 3 / Warrior 1. Their durabilities are Elementalist 3, Scout 5, Warrior 7. So, the Adept's Circle-based Health Rating bonuses would be 23 (7*1 + 5*2 + 3*2). Not the end of the world, you only have to do the math each time you advance in a Discipline that is lower than your highest. Still, it's wonkity. Here would be the process for that Elementalist 5 / Scout 3 when he picks up that Warrior 1:

"Okay, we're looking at Circle 1. My highest Discipline is Elementalist, which has durability 3. But, I also have Circle 1 in Scout, which has durability 5, which is higher than 3. Warrior is 7. So, that's 7, minus the highest that I already have at that Circle, which is 5, to give me an extra 2 for my Unconsciousness and Death ratings."

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:29 am

All these complications I'm facing right now as I'm trying to put together an excel sheet for help keeping track of it all. Hopefully it'll be worth the efforts I put in by the time I'm finished, if not as a learning experience for both this ruleset and making spreadsheets.

But yeah, only highest counts

etherial

Post by etherial » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:56 am

PiXeL01 wrote:All these complications I'm facing right now as I'm trying to put together an excel sheet for help keeping track of it all. Hopefully it'll be worth the efforts I put in by the time I'm finished, if not as a learning experience for both this ruleset and making spreadsheets.

But yeah, only highest counts
Have you downloaded the one my players put together? It's a pretty good start.

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:50 pm

Nope, I started from scratch actually simply to simplify the creation process for my players who are as sparkling new as me.

I guess we can exchange notes ^^