Fly changing matrix

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Calamrin
Fly changing matrix

Post by Calamrin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:34 pm

So say you are reattuning on the fly.....you make the roll and take the strain, and it takes a round.

Now question is does reattuning an enhanced matrix with a spell that has 1 thread to cast take same time?

And what about reattuning a zero thread spell into an enhanced matrix, and putting in an extra thread effect?

Dougansf

Re: Fly changing matrix

Post by Dougansf » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:30 pm

Enhanced Matrix PG 144 wrote: The magician weaves the thread when he attunes the spell to the matrix, saving him time when casting the spell.
I don't see it differentiating between the two methods of Matrix attuning in the Spell Magic chapter either.

I would definitely let them get the spell thread in there. It's bad enough spending your round reattuning, and not really affecting combat. To follow that up with another round of weaving threads sounds pretty boring to me.

Calamrin

Post by Calamrin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:02 pm

i was hoping so, if it takes 10 mins to do normally was hoping doing on the fly it does exactly same thing with added difficulty and strain.

just not 100% sure.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:22 pm

I have always have run it that you don't need to make an additional test to weave the thread on top of the reattuning on the fly.

I could see an argument for doing it the other way, but that seems to be a bit excessive, and just further hinders casters.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Kosmit

Post by Kosmit » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:23 pm

We also play without without the need for a separate test.

If someone would argue I would just require them to score additional successes on reattuning on the fly test.