Air Dance extra attack

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Dougansf
Air Dance extra attack

Post by Dougansf » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:32 am

Probably an old issue, but I just had my first experience with it.

The additional attack from Air Dance goes off after the opponents action. What happens when the opponent moves away as their action?

RAW, it looks like the attack does not happen.
Rule of Cool tells me that the attack does happen, considering all the cost and luck required to get it.

How do you play it?

Telarus

Re: Air Dance extra attack

Post by Telarus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:02 am

It depends on whether or not the acting character has moved this round. If the character has not moved, allow them their free movement and then the bonus attack. If they have moved, and did not declare a Split Move, no dice (literally :haha:). Splitting Movement is a combat option that must be declared before Initiative that round, costs 1 strain, and leaves you Harried.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:31 am

It's not RAW, but I'd probably allow thrown weapons. The guy tries to run and gets a dagger in the back.

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:38 pm

We play like Telarus and Slimcreeper.

utsukushi

Post by utsukushi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:04 pm

Think I'd rule with Telarus. If the Air Dancing character hasn't used their movement yet, they could still do that, and if their movement rate is high enough to keep up with the target, they can still make the attack. They're gliding all around them like Lucio, after all, it should be hard to escape.

If they used their movement to get there, though, then that kind of clinches it. They've already moved. Although if there's another opponent in striking distance, it doesn't really say you have to attack the same person.

I think definitely - and I know this isn't what you suggested - that if the opponent attacks and then moves away, the Air Dancer gets to strike back before the moving-away part happens.