Illusionist spells

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Slimcreeper
Re: Illusionist spells

Post by Slimcreeper » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:23 pm

Those are good points, Undying -

When I read the Illusionist spell list, it seems like every other one is a different way to hide or a different way to secretly swap places with someone. Or an illusory version of an attack spell from another discipline. I want the list to include more things that are really fun - Parlor tricks - but tricks that can have a real impact on play.

For this one in particular, I wanted the classic hypnotist's trick of someone acting like a chicken - because it is a great parlor trick. But what are the practical effects? No talking, no using thumbs. A great way to shut someone up who is making tedious arguments about the sanctity of truth while you are trying to entertain the people. A way to get a guard out of the way without blasting him with illusory death. An amusing way to embarrass the pompous courtier or scorcher chief. In short - a way to not fight someone.

After that (and this is perhaps where I reached too far) I thought it would be neat to have psychosomatic bonuses and penalties based on the animal. The squishy NPC needs to hide or climb a tree? Make them think they are the chameleon or monkey. Maybe Granmmamma Turtleneck hasn't climbed a tree in 50 years, but maybe she just needs a little confidence booster. Combining it with Hypnotize actually gives the illusionist a way to compel behavior other in addition to acting like an animal, so that's good.

Question? Can the adept cut short the 'placid' stage of the Hypnotize talent? If in the first round or so you've gotten what you need, can you set the target off to do what you asked?

And finally, I wanted something to talk about on the forum, and workshopping spells is as good a thing as any other. Beats talking politics.

The Undying

Re: Illusionist spells

Post by The Undying » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:24 pm

I feel ya on that last one. :) For a while, I tried just random fun topics related to holidays. Sometimes, I just pick a mechanic that seems peculiar and ask broadly about it. Usually, no love lol.

On the other stuff ~ my general opinion is that the FLAVOR of the spell is interesting, but when put into practice, it becomes problematic if you start giving it teeth. The parlor trick stuff seems totally in wheelhouse. The buff/debuff stuff ... many buffs can have their name changed and get elements of this ("Crunch climb" - "you're a cat!"). What you ended up with is such an open-ended spell that COULD displace a lot of other spells because there's practically no limit to what you can choose to buff/debug. Yeah, it might carry some baggage, but That's a lot for a single spell.