Using all Talents to Advance & Talent Optionals

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
etherial
Re: Using all Talents to Advance & Talent Optionals

Post by etherial » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:36 pm

ChrisDDickey wrote:But I don't think that it ever says or even implies that a talent stops being a Talent Option for discipline #1 just because it became a Discipline Talent for discipline #2.
I think you must agree it's at least implied:
FASA Games, on ED4PG457, wrote:Once it becomes a Discipline Talent, the Talent Option slot is freed up, and the character may learn a new Talent Option from the old Discipline.
But I think Mataxes is right, if it works for your table that the Talent Option slot remain filled and the character can advance the Talent at the reduced rate, go for it.
ChrisDDickey wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:40 pm
The optional rule on all talents being used to advance is designed to make advancement faster and cheaper, since a character is not required to purchase ranks in a discipline talent he does not really want or need just to fulfill an arbitrary requirement. He is freer to spend the LP where he wants to. I only see a potential problem of advancement becoming too cheap if the optional rule on all talents being used to advance is being used with multi-disciplining.
Well, no. It's designed to allow for players who played ED1/ED2 and liked that they were the ones who got to pick which Talents were important to their character's vision of their Discipline. It has the bonus side effect of making characters less predictable. It does make character advancement cheaper and faster, but that only really comes up late into Journeyman Tier. Before that, you have one Talent you need to raise, X Talents you want to raise, and you raise one or two other ones to meet the requirement. Once you hit Journeyman, though, the choice of "Which Talent that my character never uses/is already high enough for my satisfaction shall I raise?" defaults to "Any Novice Talent". Eventually you reach the point where it's cheaper to raise a Novice Talent from 1 to N than a Journeyman Talent from N-1 to N.
ChrisDDickey wrote:I think that a good house rule, for a GM that does want to allow maximum flexibility, but does not want multi-disciplining to become too inexpensive, would be to count for advancement only those Talents that were Discipline Talents, or that were Talent Options that are occupying a Talent Option slot for the Discipline being advanced. However I would allow unused TO slots to temporarily count Talents from the TO list that are discipline talents for other disciplines, or that are occupying a TO slot from some other Discipline. IE: in the example above, I would allow a Wizard to keep counting "conversation" as one of the talents that fulfills his requirements, so long as he keeps increasing it's rank, and so long as he still has an empty Wizard TO slot for it.

So once again, you only count Wizard Discipline Talents, and other Talents on the Wizard TO list, that are ether occupying a Wizard TO slot, or that you have an empty Wizard TO slot for. Other house rules are certainly possible, some more liberal, some more confining (for example, what was discussed above, or "if it is on your talent option list, it counts). But this one seems like a good balance. But once again, it is a house rule, because the RAW don't really address this.
This is actually even more permissive than what Mataxes suggested because it doesn't require you to commit to filling that TO slot. You can keep it open as long as you want to advance as an Illusionist and then fill it when you only want to raise Wizard and think there's some usefulness in one of the other Talents.