Weaponsmith: Crafting for DAYS!

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
The Undying
Weaponsmith: Crafting for DAYS!

Post by The Undying » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:30 am

Not sure why I just noticed this, but...

At Circle 1, a Weaponsmith gets to spend two karma when crafting and repairing. One because their free "Craftsman" is a Talent (which is likely what they'd be using to craft with). Two because their Circle 1 Karma ability is "can spend on crafting or repairing an item."

Is this as intended?

Mataxes

Re: Weaponsmith: Crafting for DAYS!

Post by Mataxes » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:06 pm

Yes.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:45 pm

I've never said this about a crafting character in any game every, but that is pretty badass.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:55 pm

Since ED4 has come out, I have seen some great uses of Craftsman in clever or unconventional ways.

My favorite was a convention game where a group was trying to sneak into the bad guy's hideout. There was an access to the cellar of the building, but it was locked. The group didn't have a Thief.

The Weaponsmith broke out his tool kit, and rolled Craftsman to try to take the door off its hinges. He spent a Karma and rolled something in the upper 20s or low 30s.

Yeah, they got the drop on them.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:33 am

Any guidance on what should be in-bounds and out-of-bounds on the Craftsman Talent? It's so incredibly open-ended, might be nice to have.

Stuff like the door example above basically, to me, turns this into a "Knowledge (everything construct-able)" on top of a "make/repair things". That may sound like I'm splitting hairs, but I see that as a fundamental difference between a Talent and a Skill. Ask a Warrior to describe the best way to swing Sword X, he'd heft it and say "I'd use it like this" and demonstrate but could in no way provide commentary as to why a sword should be swung in a particular fashion. Ask a Guardsman non-Adept to describe the best way to swing Sword X, she's say "well, a sword like that is best for wide slashes versus thrusts, because I'm smaller and weaker than the intended audience for the blade I'd probably keep it more vertical to distribute the weight and blocking versus horizontally out and menacing, and if you look, this sword has a pommel, so you could use it for improvised bashing." Talent versus Skill - one just happens (Talent) whereas the other requires fundamental understanding (Skill).

Also, is the goal general smithery (which would be my expectation) or basically all forms of architecture, construction, and all gambit from course (stone fittings) to fine (gem work)?

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:04 am

I would limit it at least to the sort of stuff one person could be expected to do.

So, architecture, large-scale construction? No.

But stuff at a basic "handyman" level? Like take a door off its hinges? Put together a couple of makeshift picks to help dig out a tunnel (as was done in the Legnds of Earthdawn podcast)? Sound good to me.

I mean... part of it is where you decide to set the difficulty number. Basic stuff like I described above? DNs of 5-10 are fine. More delicate or precise work (like jewelry)? Higher DNs, and more time. (If you choose to allow it.)