Spellcasting at +1 target and how it relates to steel thought, dispel magic and differs from AoE spells

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
The Undying
Re: Spellcasting at +1 target and how it relates to steel thought, dispel magic and differs from AoE spells

Post by The Undying » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:26 am

On the Effect test stuff:

My memory is getting pretty hazy (haven't really played in nearly a year), but I seem to remember either some guidance or rule of thumb being made on this. Something along the lines of "if it's versus highest TMD, then single Effect test; if it's versus individual TMDs, then individual Effect tests." IMHO, it really only matters in that the latter case requires multiple instances of Willforce (and, hence, more Strain and more Karma) and reduces the impact a Desperate Spell charm can have (when used for Effect test).

AoEs I think are always highest TMD and single Effect test. I just can't remember how "+X Target" extra threads get handled (whether it's individual/single Effect tests - Mataxes already noted that it's versus highest TMD). Maybe it's in one of the books and I can't remember. If it isn't, though, seems like it'd be good material for the Clarifications/FAQs.

Slimcreeper

Re: Spellcasting at +1 target and how it relates to steel thought, dispel magic and differs from AoE spells

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:41 am

With Steel Thought, you just clench your mental sphincter so that nothing can get through.