Maximum Talent Rank

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Magic_Octopus
Maximum Talent Rank

Post by Magic_Octopus » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:00 am

I am using the 3rd edition, but I'd be interested to also know if this rule is different between editions:

Is there a maximum rank for a talent apart from the hard maximum of 15? That is, can a 1st circle character raise a talent to 15?

RazanMG

Re: Maximum Talent Rank

Post by RazanMG » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:03 am

There are no other restrictions than Maximum 15 talent Rank.

Magic_Octopus

Post by Magic_Octopus » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:06 am

Ok, thanks for the super quick answer! I thought so as well, because I haven't seen a restriction in the books. For some reason my players keep asking about it, and I keep saying "no, there is no restriction". :lol:

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:58 am

It doesn't make a lot of sense, and it's woefully inefficient, but you can.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Lys

Post by Lys » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:20 pm

Should also point out, that the maximum is for your actual rank before bonuses. If you have Melee Weapons 15, and a Thread Item that gives you +3 to your Melee Weapons, you would be rolling Step 18 Melee Weapons.

etherial

Post by etherial » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 pm

Mataxes wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:58 am
Back in the day, there was the occasional Obsidiman NPC who wanted to raise all their Talents to 15 before Circling, but they could raise Durability without Circling past 2 back then.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:00 pm

etherial wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 pm
Mataxes wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:58 am
Back in the day, there was the occasional Obsidiman NPC who wanted to raise all their Talents to 15 before Circling, but they could raise Durability without Circling past 2 back then.
Back in the ED1 days, I would occasionally see a character advance a rank or two beyond what they needed to advance in Circle (e.g., a C4 character raising a talent to R6 or R7). Usually done to pick up a specific knack, but nothing as extreme as a C2 character looking to max out a talent rank. Probably because other characters in the group would take the same amount of points and have a lot more 'toys' to play with.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

utsukushi

Post by utsukushi » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:54 pm

I've seen it come up when the group is off adventuring, but, for one reason or another, isn't finding the time or money to advance their Circles. Sometimes it's good that they can keep increasing their Talents anyway, and then, when they <i>do</i> have time and funds, they can advance quickly.

Or some characters just have one really important Talent that they want to make sure shines. I've seen 2nd Circle characters push a main Talent as high as Rank 5... and I suspect that now that it's not needed for Durability, that urgent need to claim 2nd Circle before doing anything else will relax a lot. But since most GMs kind of tailor awards towards Circle advancement, and players tend to see doing anything else as a trade-off slowing them down from doing that... I haven't seen that effect survive past 3rd Circle.

etherial

Post by etherial » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:15 pm

utsukushi wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:54 pm
I've seen it come up when the group is off adventuring, but, for one reason or another, isn't finding the time or money to advance their Circles. Sometimes it's good that they can keep increasing their Talents anyway, and then, when they <i>do</i> have time and funds, they can advance quickly.

Or some characters just have one really important Talent that they want to make sure shines. I've seen 2nd Circle characters push a main Talent as high as Rank 5... and I suspect that now that it's not needed for Durability, that urgent need to claim 2nd Circle before doing anything else will relax a lot. But since most GMs kind of tailor awards towards Circle advancement, and players tend to see doing anything else as a trade-off slowing them down from doing that... I haven't seen that effect survive past 3rd Circle.
And in ED1/2 I generally saw Karma Ritual get raised to 4 immediately and then ignored.

BernardinaBence

Post by BernardinaBence » Sun May 21, 2017 9:04 am

First I was thinking that 15lvl restriction is dumb and stupid...
But than I realised that it was me to be dumb and stupid, cause if there weren't any restrictions it would make a big unbalanced mess, and that would be boring to play :D
Reading is significant, that's why you are reading a sign