Storm Children (A different approach)

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
ChainWolf
Storm Children (A different approach)

Post by ChainWolf » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:02 am

STORM CHILDREN
The storm children are a curiosity. Sometimes, during a particularly terrible storm, a bolt of lightning will strike the Earth, leaving behind a fully-grown humanoid, either male or female. Naked and shivering in the rain, the storm child is at first groggy but soon gains full awareness.
Storm children are born resembling adult name givers, and can speak the dominant language of the region fluently. Their only distinguishing features are that their natural hair, should they have any, is always a solid black, their skin is always pale, and their eyes are a solid bluish white without sign of a pupil.
The storm children have no greater understanding of where they come from than anyone else. They are driven by a ravenous hunger for knowledge, but for the most part they are subject to the same merits and vices as every other Namegiver.
After being born, a storm child lives an average lifespan of 130 years. Some storm children choose to mate, though they cannot bear children.
Because of the nature of their births, storm children are without a culture or home. Therefore, they can be found everywhere, throughout all walks of life. They often seek each other out, finding a strange comfort in one another’s company, though they tend to eventually go their separate ways.
Although rare, enough storm children exist for most people to accept them as just another, albeit mysterious, Namegiver race.

Game Information 
Chose any Namegiver race, other than Obsidiman then apply the following modifiers
Starting Attributes:
WILL +2
Karma Modifier: -1
Racial Abilities
Lightning Born: All storm children have access to the special racial talent Lightning Born (p. 88). This talent allows them to learn abilities stemming from the storms that gave them birth by mimicking certain spells. Storm child adepts starting play with no Ranks assigned to their Lightning Born talent know it at Rank 0. Storm children may purchase Ranks for Lightning Born during play at any time, treating it as a Warden talent to determine any Legend Point Costs.

So I figured there was no reason that a Storm Child had to look human, then I thought of the Dragon-Kin and how they are a PC Mask (for lack of a better term).
I'm worried that +2 will is to much but all these guys get otherwise is a Warden cost talent that can't even be used until you also buy at least 1 knack. I didn't want to redesign the talent however.

ChrisDDickey

Re: Storm Children (A different approach)

Post by ChrisDDickey » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:03 am

For those of us who have no idea what you are talking about, you should at the very least mention what book page 88 of describes Lightning Born. I looked in several candidates and did not find it.

ragbasti

Re: Storm Children (A different approach)

Post by ragbasti » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:58 am

They were added in the ED3 Cathay book.

Personally, I'm not a fan of them and some other races introduced in that book.