Karma Knacks

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
The Undying
Karma Knacks

Post by The Undying » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:40 am

This one is a bit more simple than the "disposable" knacks: what do people think about Knacks that effectively add additional Karma abilities? I don't think I've seen this in previous editions.

Some I think are more straightforward than others. A few examples that come easily to mind:
  • a Willforce Knack that allows the magician to add a karma die when rolling the Effect test for a spell when's willforce is used. I don't believe there's a way to add karma to Effect in ED. Warriors have a Standard ability that allows them to spend karma on damage.
  • a Summong Knack that allows the Summoner to spend a karma die on a summoned spirit's test.
  • an Elemental Mastery Knack - one for each element - that allows karma use when performing Talents using that element or Threadweaving/casting a spell with that keyword.
Discipline-based Karma Knacks would be a way of further differentiating individual Adepts. Rather than being tied to a Talent and its rank, they'd be tied to one (or more) Disciplines and a Circle.

Thoughts?

etherial

Re: Karma Knacks

Post by etherial » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:34 am

The Undying wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:40 am
\[*]a Willforce Knack that allows the magician to add a karma die when rolling the Effect test for a spell when's willforce is used. I don't believe there's a way to add karma to Effect in ED. Warriors have a Standard ability that allows them to spend karma on damage.
Do you mean an a Karma instead of Willforce or a second Karma when using Willforce?

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Willforce is a talent. If it is being used in a spell effect test, you can spend Karma on it.

The same way you can spend Karma on Down Strike, Surprise Strike, Claw Shape, or other damage tests without a specific Discipline ability to spend Karma on damage.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:26 pm

Thanks for that clarification. I'll admit that my brain didn't jump to this conclusion but the prospect is certainly there. Page 120 of the player's guide says you can add a karma die when you use a Talent - Willforce is certainly used on the effect test - I just always assumed the dice is only available if it's a Talent test - when Willforce is used, it's still an effect test, not a Willforce test.

Good to know!

Still plenty of other rich areas for this design space, I think.