Knocked Down and Harried synergy

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
RazanMG
Knocked Down and Harried synergy

Post by RazanMG » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:13 am

In Ed3 Knocked Down ment that you were also Harried but only bigger penalty was applied.
In Ed4 that was removed.

Was this intentionally?

Because now someone that is Knocked Down and Harried and Blindsided has PD and MD modified by -7. AUCH. :twisted:

Also it looks that you can make Move action after using Standard action to get up. Line saying that you cannot was removed.

Creature with 3 Actions that is Knocked Down can stand up, Move + Move and Attack? Or am I being sadistick?
Last edited by RazanMG on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Undying

Re: Knocked Down and Harried synergy

Post by The Undying » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:32 am

That's an interesting question.

Separately, I would personally say you can't blindside someone prone. If they're on their back, how do you get behind them? Even if they're face down, I'd personally rule that the spirit of "prone" covers the likely chance they are face down (thereby not giving an extra blindside effect)

As to the "Attack after standing," I think that's another interesting question.

The Player's Guide doesn't address the idea of receiving multiple Standard Actions. It just says it uses your Starndard Action. I could easily see this rephrased as "it takes on Standard Action to get up." In that case, if a creature truly has multiple Standard Actions, I don't see why it couldn't do those.

Many creatures are noted as having multiple ATTACKS, not Actions. I'd say that comes down to GM. My impression is that they are stacked just like an Adept's, all occurring as part of the same Standard Action. So, lose your Standard Action, lose all your attacks. If it truly says "Actions: 2," I say totally fair to still get an attack in.

Extra note: GM should establish up front whether extreme outlier talents - basically Leg Sweep - can still be used when you get up. I think technically the text says "an extra attack," implying you'd have to attack that round. But it's a Simple Action that doesn't require a successful attack like many other additional attack Talents.

etherial

Re: Knocked Down and Harried synergy

Post by etherial » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:07 pm

RazanMG wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:13 am
Also it looks that you can make Move action after using Standard action to get up. Line saying that you cannot was removed.

Creature with 3 Actions that is Knocked Down can stand up, Move + Move and Attack? Or am I being sadistick?
You are being sadistic. The rulebook is just saying that you are not required to take your Move Action before your Standard Action even when your Standard Action is to Stand Up (i.e. lowercase-m move).

But a Creature Could:

Stand Up, Attack, Attack, Move
Stand Up, Move As A Standard Action, Attack, Move
Stand Up, Attack, Move As A Standard Action, Move
Move (Crawling), Stand Up, Attack, Attack
Move (Crawling), Stand Up, Move As A Standard Action, Attack
Declare Splitting Movement: Partial Move (Crawling), Stand Up, Attack, Attack, Rest of Partial Move
Declare Splitting Movement: Partial Move (Crawling), Stand Up, Move As A Standard Action, Attack, Rest of Partial Move
Declare Jump Up: Jump Up, Attack, Attack, Attack
The Undying wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:32 am
Many creatures are noted as having multiple ATTACKS, not Actions. I'd say that comes down to GM. My impression is that they are stacked just like an Adept's, all occurring as part of the same Standard Action. So, lose your Standard Action, lose all your attacks. If it truly says "Actions: 2," I say totally fair to still get an attack in.
That was changed in ED4, AIUI, specifically to ensure a creature with 4 Attacks did not have to spend all 4 of them "Standing Up".