Haggle clarification

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Telarus
Re: Haggle clarification

Post by Telarus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:04 pm

I try to run it as etharial has laid out, with a min/max based on book price and characters' ranks in Haggle. I have never described it so well, though. :D

Flowswithdrek

Post by Flowswithdrek » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:26 am

The Undying wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:16 am
- village vendor, Haggle of 0-2.
- town vendor, Haggle of 1-4.
- city vendor, Haggle of 3-6.
- famous stores/sellers, expensive or niche goods, guild master, Haggle of 5-8
This is interesting. While there is probably no correlation to real life, the modern age seems to be the opposite. I find village folk haggle, a lot, town folk not so much, and city folk almost never. I think one of the reasons is once you get to the towns, and especially the city you have big business setting the prices in stone and staff don’t have any leeway to bargain with you (though sometimes he manager does).
etherial wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:57 pm
So, who here has real experience with haggling?
While I’ve only tried it a handful of times, I find my friends from the small farming communities are crazy hagglers. They will try and haggle for anything, it almost part of the opening conversation the way anyone else would say good morning. “Is that the best you can do” or “I could shave more of my cat” seem to be favourite lines. Personally I find it as embarrassing as hell and go hide behind the magazine rack!

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:53 am

That's a good point. I was really just trying demonstrate that getting NEAR ten is probably actually likely with a subset of non-Adept NPCs. Better, more interest people could probably come up with more realistic curves and picked to cluster Haggle Ranks around. I've got to Skin in the game, though - I'm not as vehemently opposed to the "economy simulator" as my friend, but it's fair to say I want the economy as out of the way as possible. RARITY is of much more interest to me then how good any one person is at driving a bargain

Kosmit

Post by Kosmit » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:53 pm

About real experience:

I really love to haggle, especially on holidays on the markets where they try to rip tourists off as much as possible. My experience is that it usually starts with price out of space and then I try to pull it down until I am satisfied.

It's true that God of Haggling is evaluating you. If they think you are a Russian tourist in Egypt the price could be as high as five times, but when I am say I'm Polish it's always like: "Polska! Polska! Special price for my polish friend! Adam Malysz, Lech Walesa, Robert Kubica!". The price is still higher but it's easy to haggle it down ;)

And for merchants in the city - I think in shops the price is pretty much fixed but those Gods of Hagling with 8-10 Ranks in Haggle use their skill at big markets (Shipping swords for the whole Throal Guard, selling Airships etc.) not in their "Gimrod & Sons' Wares" ;)

During our time in 3rd edition we had fun with one player playing Weaponsmith. It was just part of an adventure experience but he haggled usually when buying/selling a lot stuff for a team.