High Circle Preview: All Links + Wrap-Up Discussion

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Dougansf
Re: High Circle Preview: All Links + Wrap-Up Discussion

Post by Dougansf » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:31 pm

The Undying wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:08 am
My thoughts on Elementalist:

----- Summoning -----

It was too powerful. Now it feels too weak. Primary problem: 30 minute time is too long to impact current situations. Secondary problem: Aid/Enhance Summoner too weak (especially got time investment).

Recommendation: Fragment summoning in two.
1) Ritual format: Same as current, except faster (5 or 10 minute). This allows it to have an impact - tank can maybe hold door for 5-10 minutes, not 30.
2) Express format: Doable in long combat, 5-10 rounds (30-60 seconds). Duration changes to rounds (+2 per extra success). If necessary, eliminate access to Aid/Enhance. Again, this allows it to have an impact - tank can maybe hold off heat long enough for much needed support.
As a fellow Elementalist lover, I find this irresistible.

I think a simpler change would be changing the duration to Rank Hours instead of based upon successes.
Unless you're willing to change the activation time of some Weaponsmith talents as well (I'm sure there are other Disciplines, but Temper Flesh comes to mind first). Talents like these reinforce the benefits of being prepared and knowing your opposition, which IMO are key to Earthdawn.
The Undying wrote:
----- Hardiness -----

Elementalist have 4, arguably 5 (Elemental Walk), Talents that just buff their hardiness. I like this, but there's a "so what" missing, especially given the focus this theme receives.

Recommendation: Add a Talent that does something to make all this hardiness useful. I don't have a specific recommendation yet.
How are you defining "hardiness"?
Which talents are you talking about? Wood Skin? Fire Heal? Earth Skin? Fireblood?
Fire Heal is certainly key to their role as healer (Grove Renewal FTW!), and the rest keep them alive long enough to keep the party alive.
The Undying wrote:
----- Standard Action Talent -----

Right now, Elementalists feel like it's "cast spell" or "do nothing." They are lacking a Talent that they can use to impact the world or change the situation. Example is found in Nethermancer's Fright - it's flavorful, it's inline with the Discipline, and it's generally useful often (more so in combat than out).
I don't see this as a problem. They're a Magician, casting spells is the job.
With the exception that it left out some cool design space like used with Frighten for Nethermancers and Astral Sight for Wizards, where spells improve the talent.
But in combat, I'd rather cast Spirit Dart every round than use Frighten.
The Undying wrote:
----- Air and Water Discipline Talents -----

Elementalists strive for balance among the elements. So, it stands out that there are multiple Earth/Wood while Air/Water are absent (from a Discipline Talent perspective). These are available as Talent Options, but none of them are Good Enough to be Discipline Talents. Mostly a flavor conflict.

Recommendation: Nothing necessary; it would just be nice to see Air and Water represented as Discipline Talents. That being said, none of the existing Talent Options are strong enough for this role (in my option).
I'll grant you that Earth and Fire are certainly predominant in Talents, with a few from Air, Wood, and maybe 1 Water.
The Undying wrote:
----- Elemental Rotation -----

Elementalists strive for balance among the elements. This is just never represented, other than the concept of Discipline Crisis.
And spell selection...
The Undying wrote:
Recommendation: (Ignoring the how) Add a carrot that encourages elemental rotation (at Talent level if applicable, definitely at spell level). I have a number of ideas here. I'll touch on the one that I think is most promising but likely least popular:
1) Replace the guts of "Elemental Mastery" with something that steadily builds bonuses as the Adept rotates through elements. Current Talent is incredibly strong but overly passive (but can't overly comment given I neither have the text nor the prominently-featured knacks Panda speaks to). This new Talent can be less strong but still great (bonus applies to both Threadweaving & Spellcasting maybe) but is actively used and changes play, which is fun. I can provide more details if desired.
Most do strive for balance, some don't. I see this as RP-only territory.
The problem with this is that you're creating a mechanical benefit to enforce a characters personal vision of how the discipline works.
The Undying wrote:
----- 13th Circle feature -----

I love the feel of this. It feels weird that it shows up this late. It also feels weird that a Fire Elemental provides the same generic bonuses to the summoner as a Water Elemental.

Recommendation:
1) Take the flavor of this and move it to elemental spirits. Veering slightly into mechanics, this could be broken into two layers: (a) new ability beside Aid/Enhance that gives better persistent bonus for same Element with an equal penalty for opposing element, (b) another new additional ability available to stronger spirits that does the same as earlier BUT ALSO does the free thread and cannot cast spells of opposing.
2) Create a new 13th Circle feature.
I think this is a great power. You merge your spirit with an Element (not an Elemental) and get a lot of benefits to casting spells.
I think the generic bonuses are a means to keep it simple, and not show preference to any element.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:29 pm

Dougansf wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:31 pm
Unless you're willing to change the activation time of some Weaponsmith talents as well (I'm sure there are other Disciplines, but Temper Flesh comes to mind first). Talents like these reinforce the benefits of being prepared and knowing your opposition, which IMO are key to Earthdawn.
"Being prepared and knowing your opposition" aren't key to ED. ED is not a heist game, and some Adepts can go their entire lives without combat. Temper Flesh, for example, is just something you do because you can. There's no good reason not to except the inherent risk and unless maybe you're going to a ball and don't want to look weird. Any Adept that has it and achieved Rank where there's little chance of failure is probably just going to do this every morning - just like any adepts that start bumping into double digit Wood/Earth Skin Rank are probably just going to do this every morning.

As to the time thing, you're forgetting two core things. First, summoning was always a Standard Action until ED4. This is pretty much the antithesis of the idea that "being prepared and knowing your opposition ... are key." It's positioned as being reactive with that Action speed. Going from one round to 30 minute ritual is huge and entirely changes the intent and usefulness of the ability. Second, a change here does not require changes elsewhere. Again, going back to Temper Flesh, this was always a Sustained Action, and I believe (would have to check) a lengthy one.
Dougansf wrote:
How are you defining "hardiness"?
Which talents are you talking about? Wood Skin? Fire Heal? Earth Skin? Fireblood?
Fire Heal is certainly key to their role as healer (Grove Renewal FTW!), and the rest keep them alive long enough to keep the party alive.
Hardiness: Wood Skin (1), Earth Skin (7), Vine Armor (11), Stone Skin (14)

These exist only to make the Adept more resilient. I chose "Hardy" as I believe that is the word panda used.

Again, the "keep them alive long enough to keep the party alive" concept doesn't float. First, Elementalists are not combat magicians (per panda), so taking a big chunk of damage in combat for any reason is not core to the Discipline, and Discipline Talents exist to represent the core elements of the Discipline. Second, Elementalists also aren't healers - they can heal, but Cold Purify was expressly removed from the Discipline Talent path because not all Elementalists want/need to be "the healer." I recommend going back and reading my post that preceded yours where I ask "why are they hardy?"
Dougansf wrote:
I don't see this as a problem. They're a Magician, casting spells is the job.
With the exception that it left out some cool design space like used with Frighten for Nethermancers and Astral Sight for Wizards, where spells improve the talent.
But in combat, I'd rather cast Spirit Dart every round than use Frighten.
Spells are a key feature, it's not a magician's sole reason for being. If that were the case, all the other Talents that do other things (Frighten, Research, First Impression, etc) don't make sense as Discipline Talents. But they are there. And the fact that Elementalists are the only magician without them is kind of the point here. Even Wziards, who are pretty much "magic or bust," mainline a number of other Talents unrelated to spellcasting.

Also, returning back to the point of made a few times about current magicians not being combatants: current magicians are supposed to be primarily focused outside of combat. So, focusing on the combat situation is really somewhat beside the point. I've mentioned Frighten a few times, and you're right, it's not a great example due to its heavy combat focus. Regardless, though, even if you would rather cast a spell than use Frighten, others may love it and invest heavily in its use (there are lots of spells to help this). Even aside from whether you'd like to debate if Spellcasting or Frighten is a better use of one's time, my point about it's presence is still valid - we can have that debate because it exists, because Nethermancers have another Standard Action they can do.
Dougansf wrote:
And spell selection...
What about "spell selection"? An Adept's personal selection? I find it very hard to believe any PC, or even NPC, goes out of their way right now to ensure a balanced selection, and I don't see how an individual's selection demonstrates balance unless they chose it to be so. Discipline Spell LIST? If that, how so? Because they all have an elemental keyword? That's not balance, that's a mechanic that could support balance. Equal Elemental representation? I'd have to do the math, but I doubt it's spot on as a whole, and very likely not at a per-Circle basis.
Dougansf wrote:
Most do strive for balance, some don't. I see this as RP-only territory.
The problem with this is that you're creating a mechanical benefit to enforce a characters personal vision of how the discipline works.
Per all previous companions, Elemental balance is a key belief. Discipline talents are meant to reflect these types of things. So this is more than a "most do," especially since NOT doing it can result in Talent Crisis.

Your point about "some don't" is almost entirely irrelevant. "Some" Elementalists never really go outside and spend all their time researching - should all the hardiness Talents be thrown out because "some" don't need it? "Some" Elementalists will never see combat or danger - should Fire Heal be thrown out because "some" don't need it? "Some" Elementalists may never have a desire to commune with the spirits, let alone summon them - should Summoning and Elemental Tongues be thrown out because "some" don't need it? The answer to all of these is "no, these are core to the Discipline, even if some deviate."

The only other way I can really slant this perspective is that it is a dead spot for Elementalists that don't strive for balance (*especially* for those rogue Elementalists that devote themselves to a single element - BLASPHEMY!!@! *but it is a thing*). I don't see that as a problem. All the hardiness Talents are equally "dead spots" for many Elementalists that have a solid melee companion or two (I'm Circle 5, approaching Circle 6, and have been playing this character for about two years now. Guess how many times I've used Wood Skin. That answer: 0). Someone else (etherial, I think) noted that despite having both summoner Disciplines in his party, they rarely summoned throughout the entirety of Circle 1 - ~10, which makes Summoning (and likely Elemental Tongues) a "dead spot" for them.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:23 am

By the by, I don't want to discourage the discussion on Elementalist per se, especially since Mataxes generously weighed in. However, I also don't want to discourage others from chiming in with the original thread intent:

Now that you've seen everything that the current High-Circles have to offer, has that changed any of your thoughts on individual Discipline stuff?

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:12 am

The Undying wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:29 pm
"Being prepared and knowing your opposition" aren't key to ED.
I'm just going to stop right there, because we are obviously playing this game in very different ways.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:03 am

And ain't nothin' wrong with that!

etherial

Post by etherial » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:17 pm

The Undying wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:29 pm
Per all previous companions, Elemental balance is a key belief. Discipline talents are meant to reflect these types of things. So this is more than a "most do," especially since NOT doing it can result in Talent Crisis.
Also per The Adept's Way/ED3PC, some Elementalists specialize in one Element above and beyond the others.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:22 pm

Yeah, I very lightly touch on that in part of my response. I see them as kind of like a renegade cult extremeists within a religion. It's a thing, there's a mechanic for it, but I imagine every other Elementalists sees them as shy of Abominations. Plus, while I'd have to go back and read it, I believe it's A Thing. As in, this Adept puts that element first and foremost as a way of life. So, it's still a focus to them. An Elementalists that just favors two elements and neglects three doesn't fall here and risks a Crisis