What is a Social Interaction / what is not?

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Belenus
What is a Social Interaction / what is not?

Post by Belenus » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:13 pm

In the German Facebook group a discussion arose about which talent and which skill is a "social interaction".
Triggered by the ability of the troubadour: "Karma: The adept may spend a Karma Point on Interaction tests"

After I started to make a list of which talent and skill belongs in which category of social interaction (Gamemaster Guide p. 144), I came to the surprising conclusion that all talents and skills based on charisma are a form of social interaction or can be used for one. (+ the talent Impressive Display).

Since some of these talents are open to discussion, I would like a DEV to respond in advance.

In fact, the ability of the troubadour (and other disciplines) would be too strong for me if it really pushed all talents of this kind.

Greetings
Belenus

Panda

Re: What is a Social Interaction / what is not?

Post by Panda » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:29 pm

Greetings,

Interaction tests are described starting in the Gamemaster's Guide, starting on p. 142. The term "Interaction test" is used exclusively to refer to these five tests, which is why Interaction is always capitalized in this reference. The types of Interaction tests described are: Deceit, Insight, Intimidation, Making an Impression, and Favors. For example, an Intimidation test is referred to as "Interaction (Intimidation)."

Other abilities such as Conversation and First Impression are not Interaction tests. They are Conversation and First Impression tests respectively. These aren't broad categories of tests to fit other abilities under, but very specific and there are generally few ways to improve them.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:35 am

You can Make an Impression as an Interaction test, but not First Impression.

The heart of the system imo is the Favor mechanic. I wish all of this had been in the Player's Guide and even going back to 1st edition in the player's section of the book. It really doesn't get the play it deserves.

CPFCPF

Post by CPFCPF » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:38 am

So in general, interaction tests are tests which are rolled with your charisma attribute only.
Whenever you use any talent, it's not an interaction test anymore, it's a talent test.
Am I right?

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:58 am

well, no. interaction tests don't have skills or talents that can be used to make them, but simply being a straight charisma test is not enough. it is specifically those 5 tests that panda listed. other tests, even if they seem quite similar, and even if they are just straight charisma rolls, are not interaction tests.

CPFCPF

Post by CPFCPF » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks for clarification!

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:15 pm

Big thanks!

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:29 pm

We also have quite some way to go to properly implement social interactions rulewise.
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.