Question about Additional Target

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Sharkforce
Re: Question about Additional Target

Post by Sharkforce » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:36 am

Panda wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:57 pm
Generally speaking, no, since this is heading into using additional targets to cast a damaging spell on someone twice territory and that's not going to happen. If that causes dissonance, then it has to target different characters.
just wanted to be sure I'm understanding this: are you saying that you think it must target multiple characters, or are you saying that as a special exception it could be allowed to target multiple matrices on the same target unless that triggers a lack of verisimilitude for a specific group due to inconsistency, in which case it would be better to rule that it must target different people to prevent a ruling that would allow something like a triple earth dart into one enemy?

JetBlackJoe

Post by JetBlackJoe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:00 am

Sharkforce wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:36 am
just wanted to be sure I'm understanding this: are you saying that you think it must target multiple characters, or are you saying that as a special exception it could be allowed to target multiple matrices on the same target unless that triggers a lack of verisimilitude for a specific group due to inconsistency, in which case it would be better to rule that it must target different people to prevent a ruling that would allow something like a triple earth dart into one enemy?
That's how I understood Morgan's answer. That targeting multiple Spell Matrices is okay in this one instance, unless you then conclude that targeting the same enemy with other offensive spells is okay, in which case it's not.
"Mind over Body. Body over Mind."
- Verron Vittraxi, Wizard Extraordinaire

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:24 pm

I wrote up a GMC that is a wizard with a special interest in magical duels, this is good stuff.