Fernweave - image?

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Jason
Fernweave - image?

Post by Jason » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:35 pm

Is there any pictures with fernweave armor in them?
Play my game jam games - made by one person in a limited time frame (usually 48 hours)

Lys

Re: Fernweave - image?

Post by Lys » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:02 am

There aren't, but it probably looks like this:

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:07 am

Nice pics Lys.

I recall in previous editions there was a picture of an elf wearing fernweave.

There was also one of a guy wearing blood pebble.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:15 am

3ED Player's Guide, page 255, right above the description of Fernweave.

Honestly, the visual provided make it much more mundane that the initial thought. When I envision something based on the description, I see loose-woven vines, odd gaps and tight patterns, almost something crude in fashion but still highly effective due to the living nature of the plants. The actual picture? It looks more like a professionally tight-woven high collared military coat with rigid-edge shoulders and full-breast overlay. There are very sporadic vines that appear draped on the armor.

I'd really recommend just poking around only, do some imagine searches, and find something that you think looks cool and use that. Is a tight-woven military coat made of plant fiber realistic? Entirely - it's as practical and realistic as the metal and hide armor, which would likely look very much like we had in the relevant time periods. Does it evoke a magical feel? Not really, which is unfortunate for this particular item. Personally, I imagine something closer to a ghillie suit, just not so over-the-top.

Lys

Post by Lys » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:05 am

Oh yeah, there is that one picture. Forgot about it because it looks like a generic military coat with some ivy growing on it.

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:10 pm

The Undying wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:15 am
3ED Player's Guide, page 255, right above the description of Fernweave.
I never attached that picture to Fernweave mentally. I can see how it would be it now that you point it out.
When I envision something based on the description, I see loose-woven vines, odd gaps and tight patterns, almost something crude in fashion but still highly effective due to the living nature of the plants.
Me too

Thanks!
Play my game jam games - made by one person in a limited time frame (usually 48 hours)