Threadweaving, our favorite topic

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Slimcreeper
Threadweaving, our favorite topic

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:01 pm

So could a spellcaster who was expecting trouble weave a thread, then if nothing happens, drop it, reweave it, drop it, reweave it and so be ready to land a spell in the first round of combat? Kind of like an archer with his arrow notched an half drawn, or a swordsman in a ready stance.

Also, can windlings wear backpacks, or do they all rock fanny packs?

The Undying

Re: Threadweaving, our favorite topic

Post by The Undying » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:44 pm

On one hand, your question is valid, and on the other hand, your questions have a light, playful feel that makes me think you're just being silly. :D

On the spell stuff, I think this is where the designers wanted to position the Hold Thread Talent. Problem is that they made the cost so crippling that the Talent is mostly unusable. I won't continue my rant against it, my thoughts are pretty well known on the subject. As to what you're talking about specifically, I'd say that it's weird but they could do it for a short time - just like an archer would get tired keeping a bow drawn forever or a warrior in a fighting pose will tire faster than one with weapon at the ready, I'd say that more than say 15 or so minutes and you have to tap out. Again, this is really what Hold Thread should've done: an archer doesn't burn Strain to keep an arrow drawn, a fighter doesn't burn Strain keeping his weapon in a striking or defensive posture, Hold Thread should be a Strain-free knack.

As to your question about Windlings, check the players guide. Can't remember the page, but there is quite clearly a Windling wearing a backpack. Now, it's a backpack for ants, but it is a backpack. I'm guessing their wings are just set closer to the shoulders then center of the back?

Nicsterdk

Post by Nicsterdk » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:36 am

The same question came up in our groups last session, but we couldn't find any relevant rules to cover it. Our GM decided that threading and walking while being semi aware of your surroundings wasn't viable, as he believed it would be more mentally taxing then simply flexing a bowstring, or readying a weapon, plus he viewed spell casting and threading to be partly done in Astral Space. So it would be kinda like walking with blurred vision, while checking your HUD, and running a timed math problem :)
But it all comes down to a Gm decision, I think.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:02 pm

In general, I think ED is a solid system, but this is one area where it fights itself. Hold Thread is, still, I think the intended thing to fill this space. It costs (a crippling amount of) Strain. However, casting a spell doesn't cost Strain. So, other than the potential stealth value of a held thread, why would a magician not just Weave and release over and over again - an action that is Strain free - when they just want a spell at the ready?

As to the idea that a magician loses situational awareness while weaving/casting due to mental strain (little 's' not health damage Strain), my thoughts: keep in mind that the spells are all designed to be used in combat, meaning the magician is expected to have enough mental capacity to process the very fluid and dangerous situation of battle while performing necessary spell actions. If they can do that, I'd personally say they can easily walk and chew bubble gum while Threadweaving (and releasing).

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:07 am

Because Hold Thread can hold only 1 thread, as GM I would say 1 strain for whole duration.

As fo weaving threads all over while walking, its aGM call. You can say its ok to do it for a minute (10 rounds). Or if you dont want it but its possible ingame, ask player to make every roll, he will be bored really soon.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:38 am

Hold Thread has a knack that expands it to multiple threads - or, at least, historically does and probably will in ED4. Cost will likely go from "I can't afford to do one Thread reasonably" to "I'll literally go unconscious for one spell." :D

Otherwise, yeah, GM call. My personal recommendation for those that abhor Hold Thread would be to treat it like chain casting or something: only in a dangerous situation and only where secrecy doesn't matter, allow them to cast a pre-declared spell on turn 1, maybe with no extra threads. Maybe add a penalty like "auto fail all awareness checks for surprise." Doing it in populated areas should be not allowed - looks way too foolish

True Neutral

Post by True Neutral » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:37 pm

I think the desire to do this is natural and falls into a normal narrative. How many shows and movies do we see a spellcaster prepare a spell than walk around with it for a bit or just stand and chat with someone before deciding whether or not to use it? Once Upon A Time is a current example where the Queen will summon a fireball and then walk around, chat, do any number of things before deciding to either throw it or disperse it.

How about the opposite? It doesn't cost strain to 'nock' a thread or threads for a spell, but then caster is committed to that spell. As a +/- the thread could have an obvious image similar to an archer having their bow nocked that lets people know a spell is ready. The caster can walk around, talk, perform any actions that wouldn't normally require a Concentration test with the spell locked and loaded and ready to go on the first round of action for some reasonable amount of time, rank minutes or such. BUT if they want to do something else, they have to disperse the thread(s) first which will be an effort. I'm thinking something similar to standing up from a knockdown, either they use the round to unweave the thread or they have to spend strain and make a Threadweaving roll to unweave the thread and still have an action.

That to my mind leads to much smoother gameplay and more interesting situations. What if an Elementalist has a Lightning Bolt thread crackling and ready in their hand and they turn the corner to find the horrific moans echoing down that dark alley are from a young boy crying over his fallen mother?

Or bursting into a room thinking combat is taking place to find a rauchous party? In the silence as your character and the partygoers stare at each other a cork pops from a bottle and the spellcaster has to roll Willpower to keep the blast from firing into the room...

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:34 pm

I like the theatrical element you're describing, TN. It's worth noting that most spells in ED don't work that way (a lot of them don't really begin manifesting until it actually leaves the magician), but it's STILL a nice element, one that can be built on (like a cackling swirl of mostly-contained astral energy rolling in his/her hand).

By the by, old Hold Thread discussion is ove here: http://www.fasagames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=89

Regardless, I agree, Hold Thread is a very heavy-handed and over-costed way of handling this. BUT, for those that treat RAW as sacrosanct, or those that are really not comfortable altering the published Discipline Talent progression (which is understandable), it is what it is at this point. RAW, a magician doesn't know how to hold a thread at the ready until Circle 8 (7 for Wizards, IIRC), and doing so takes 1 Strain/turn.