Blood Magic Damage and knacks

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
sigfriedmcwild
Blood Magic Damage and knacks

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:16 am

There are a few knacks that inflict their strain as Blood Magic Damage and I have some questions about them

First are Dive Mastery and Wing Mastery (from mystic paths, p288 and 290). Both specify the duration as "until sunrise the next day" and that the blood magic damage can be healed then.

My questions:
- Does this force the adept to spend 1 recovery upon waking up to heal that 1 point of damage? (let's assume the adept wakes up after sunrise)
- If the adept reuses these knacks the next day, can the blood magic damage be "chained" into the next use?
- In short if my windling windmaster were to use one these knacks every day can I just mark 1 blood magic damage for an indefinite duration and just not worry about it?

Next, the Strength of Bronze/Iron/Steel (companion 114) knacks do not specify a duration for the blood magic damage at all, is it 1 year and a day? Is it while the armour is worn? The same questions about being able to take a fixed amount of blood magic damage and then not worrying as the 2 previous knacks applies.

Bonus question: the Shaman 5th circle ability Pack Leadership (mystic paths p187). I'm not sure what the duration is, both for the blood magic damage and the pack effect.
One reading is that everything lasts until the next sunrise (and then the same questions as above apply). Another reading I have is that only the glyph lasts until next sunrise, but the pack membership effect is permanent and the blood magic damage lasts... a year and a day? Which is correct?

Panda

Re: Blood Magic Damage and knacks

Post by Panda » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:32 am

Greetings,

1) If you perform the ritual again, it simply renews the Blood Magic Damage and the effect until next sunrise.

2) The Blood Magic Damage from the Strength of <Metal> knacks lasts until the adept releases the magic. If the adept doesn't want to release it, it doesn't get released. The Blood Magic Damage only needs to be taken once; each subsequent knack completely replaces the previous knack.

3) The Blood Magic Damage lasts as long as the glyph: until the next sunrise.

Hopefully this clarifies everything.

Best regards,

Morgan

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:03 am

Thanks Panda, that pretty much covers everything.

Regarding 3, if the ritual is performed again the next day, does it renew the blood magic damage like for 1?

Panda

Post by Panda » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:16 am

The ritual needs to be performed again.

burbigo

Post by burbigo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Thanks a lot for the explanation and the details, Panda.

VPN Sai Mannat AnyDesk