Wizard Mark and Spellcasting Knacks

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
ottdmk
Wizard Mark and Spellcasting Knacks

Post by ottdmk » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:40 pm

So, I had a thought the other day, thought I'd ask about it.

Wizard Mark enables you to use Spellcasting on any Marked target you can see, no matter the Range of the spell you want to cast.

So, would it enable you to use a Spellcasting Knack (Like Arcane Accuracy, etc.) on a Marked target, regardless of range?

RazanMG

Re: Wizard Mark and Spellcasting Knacks

Post by RazanMG » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:52 pm

Wizard Mark lets you cast spells, not use knacks.

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:54 pm

RazanMG wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:52 pm
Wizard Mark lets you cast spells, not use knacks.
+1

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:10 am

The thing is, Knacks didn't exist when the Player's Guide came out. Now, I know they had some ideas in mind for them, but still... they weren't formalized.

If Wizard Mark can let you completely short circuit the Range limits of any spell, why couldn't the same link act as a pathway for something like a Knack that uses the exact same Talent?

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:25 am

I see both sides.

If you consider that the spellcasting Knacks are actually spells (cantrips if you will) that don't require spell matrixes, etc. Then yes, Wizard Mark probably ought to apply.

But they are not presented as spells in and of themselves, instead they are presented as Knacks, which is to say modifications of talents. Wizard Mark would not allow you to use a talent at a range greater than normal (such as Cold Purify or Blood Share that require touching). But the spellcasting knacks should be able to be affected by anything that modifies Talents or Knacks, but not spells. Unless, once again, your GM reclassifies them as spells instead of knacks.

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:00 pm

I'd see it as Wizard Mark lets you use Spellcasting in defiance of range. Not allowing the Spellcasting knacks to be used via Wizard Mark's Los = Touch-Range seems churlish.

Wizards are written per the compendium as the discipline that knows so much about magic, that they seem to bend the rules.

From how I perceive the balancing/design intent: Giving the Wizard a bunch of Touch-Range Spellcasting knacks to buff the front line without it being possible through Wizard Mark would be strange.