Question about "Fog of Fear"

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Nicsterdk
Question about "Fog of Fear"

Post by Nicsterdk » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:42 am

The Effect States "Allows Frighten use against multiple targets at range" Later in the description it says " The magician may use his Frighten talent against all targets within the affected area as a single action"

Now does this mean that I will use Frighten on EVERYONE within the area, or does it mean I can select from all the targets in the area?
Aka. Can I select enemies within the area, or do I also hit any companions in there?

/ Nicsterdk

The Undying

Re: Question about "Fog of Fear"

Post by The Undying » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:09 am

"Targets" is a little misleading. It is actually everybody indiscriminately- you're not targeting anyone, there are just those effected in the area, for which the standard phrase is "targets."

Take a look at the Elementalists "Blizzard Spere" spell. You'll notice this is very clearly a "everybody gets nuked" ability. It's still uses the term "targets". Separately look at the Fireball which has a Thread option to remove people.

One thing you'll learn about Nethermancer spells is that they're kind of ... vicious. They don't take sides, the idea of sparing someone doesn't make sense to that magic. You can even see it in the Difficulty for the Spellcasting test - unlike most area of effect spells which are against the highest mystic defense in the area, Fog of Fear is just a flat 6. It's almost like the spell WANTS you to succeed so you can terrify EVERYONE, not just a few people.

Because Nethermancers are cuddle bears - everybody gets a [terrifying, nightmare inducing] hug!

Nicsterdk

Re: Question about "Fog of Fear"

Post by Nicsterdk » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:52 pm

You are a sir, thanks for all your awesome answers :)

Great help!