Binding spirit

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Dougansf
Re: Binding spirit

Post by Dougansf » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:52 pm

The Undying wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:50 pm
You'd mentioned before that binding could offer protection. I can TOTALLY see that as a thing - but it's going to be insanely niche and I'd say almost 99.99999% not going to happen as a result of a summoning. Now, if you like this idea, I'd say talk to your GM about it - maybe, while you're out hunting Horrors or something, you come across a spirit that truly IS in long-term existential danger. Then, they might actually be willing to submit to a binding because it would effectively mask their existence from their hunters WHILE STILL holding out hope that either you will release it one day (if you agree to after some period of service after which the hunt has likely expired - a la horror mark or something) or that you'll eventually lose the item and they can Content of Wills their way into freedom (a CHANCE at living may be a better option than a NEAR GUARANTEE of death if left in the wild). In these cases, I think you could bind pretty much guilty free. Again, though, this is very, very, very likely to be super niche, the chance that you happen to summon up a spirit in this situation should be next to 0.
In the Dresden Files books, this is almost exactly the situation that Bob the Skull is in.

He's an Air Spirit bound to a human skull, to hide from greater power beings that want him dead for what he knows. Even so, he jumps at every opportunity to get time out of the skull and run around town causing trouble.

The Undying

Re: Binding spirit

Post by The Undying » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:17 pm

Yeah, Bob was in my thoughts while I was writing this. RAW, though, there isn't a means for a bound spirit to leave an object, so without something tacked on, this couldn't be replicated. It is a fun idea, though, one that I've been playing with via a special binding object that is also a Thread Item called "Spirit Leash" - similar to a Matrix Object, it scales up to 15 and can only hold a spirit SR up to its Rank. The Leash would allow you to let them out for certain tasks. That adds a SIGNIFICANT amount of power to the binding, though, so I'd be tempted to place the cost as high as Master tier.