Sunlight Shaman spell

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Panda
Re: Sunlight Shaman spell

Post by Panda » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:41 pm

I don't know how many different ways I can say and explain this. If you don't want to believe me, there's nothing left to be said.

A spell with "Range: Self" can only target the caster unless the caster has a way to change that range such the Fifth Circle Wizard Karma ability. The additional text regarding changing that Difficulty is present explcitly to address such an ability, where if cast on someone offensively it isn't just a static Difficulty.

This is not a bug, fault, or any other such thing, but a deliberate choice to address an existing ability within the context of how the spell works. Not addressing it and leaving the Difficulty as 6 would be a bug, unless it required a willing target. Then we get into a dumb argument about whether an inanimate object can be willing, or if it requires a willing target, can it target something other than the caster because otherwise why would it have to be willing if the caster is targeting themselves.

Tellim-Tor

Post by Tellim-Tor » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:43 pm

I dont want to offend anyone, Just want to bei Sure i Understand everything.

Maybe its obvios or Not, i am No native speaker regarding english. So If i Had blamed someone i am sorry about that.

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:24 pm

Tellim-Tor wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:43 pm
I dont want to offend anyone, Just want to bei Sure i Understand everything.

Maybe its obvios or Not, i am No native speaker regarding english. So If i Had blamed someone i am sorry about that.
I think it also helps you to understand this matter, if you know that Panda wrote that book. So if he talks about what is intended, there is usually not much room for interpretation ;-)

Tellim-Tor

Post by Tellim-Tor » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:40 am

Thanks a Lot and will keep it in mind.