Extra Threads: Additional Target (+1)

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Belenus
Extra Threads: Additional Target (+1)

Post by Belenus » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:28 pm

Several spells have the Extra Threads: Additional Target (+1) ability.
But how does this work against Dispel Magic (or Sensing tests if it was an illusion)?
So if I buffed 2 target with the same spell, does it become a spell for itself and both have to be dispelled or is it enough to dispell one target and the other one loses the buff too?

Bonhumm

Re: Extra Threads: Additional Target (+1)

Post by Bonhumm » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:07 pm

My understanding of this is that additional targets is not like an AOE spell; in other word, the spell is cast 'independently' on different target and are therefore 'tracked' interdependently too.

Thus, Sensing/Dispel is affecting the one person targeted and, if successful, only affect that person, not the 'whole' spell.

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:18 pm

If you cast a buff spell and one of the targets dies while the spell is still active, I would leave the buff on others players active. The moment a spell is cast, the magician doesn't have to "keep it up" (except for sustained spells, don't even know if there are such spells in Earthdawn).

So if one instance of the active spells is dispelled, I'd also leave the others running.

For illusions I'd grant a +5 to sensing tests, if it was sensed on one active target

Panda

Post by Panda » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:32 pm

Greetings,

Each instance of a spell with additional targets must be dispelled separately.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Great, wasn't quite sure about it but this is how we already played it.
Thanks for the clarification :)