Called Shot to ignore armor?

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Aegharan
Re: Called Shot question

Post by Aegharan » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:53 am

JeretJax wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:09 pm
I have a follow- up question to called shot, can I use (as an Archer) True shot to negate the attack penalty from called shot? So 2 strain no penalty or 1 strain with a -3 penalty. Also would I be able to use Mystic Aim and with a success cut that attack penalty to 1 for 1 strain? OR does the strain cost add up - Called shot 1 strain+ True shot +2 strain = 3 strain?
Bonus and Malus are always additive. If you get -3 on the attack test for the called shot, +2 from Mystic aim, +4 from anticipate blow and -2 because you're harried, you would add them all up and be at DEX-step + talent step + 1.
By adding in true shot, you don't add steps, but a certain amount of karma dice. A d6 is step 4, so (statistically) you're adding in +4 per Karma spent.
This makes it (again: statistically) better than just negeting the penalty of a called shot.

You further have the guarantee to hit, as Bonhumm said, as long as the target doesn't successfully avoid blow and you have enough Karma and can spend enough karma on that attack.

The strain also adds up. In my above case that would be 1x called shot + 1x Mystic aim + 1 anticipate blow + 2 true shot for a total of 5.

ragbasti

Re: Called Shot to ignore armor?

Post by ragbasti » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:25 pm

Ferretmonger wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:49 pm
A called shot that bypasses armor wouldn't exactly increase the damage, it would only "increase" the damage inflicted.
Now that's just splitting hairs. "Increasing the damage inflicted" is exactly the same as "increasing damage".

If you want to use it that way at your table, the go on, but you got the official answer from Panda.