Temporary Talent Ranks and Duration

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
JetBlackJoe
Temporary Talent Ranks and Duration

Post by JetBlackJoe » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:11 am

Many Thread Items within the game have abilities like "For 1 Strain, gain +X Ranks to Y Talent for one test.", for example the Metal Inquisitor (GMG. p. 218) giving +3 to Steely Stare at Rank 5.

My character recently acquired an item that for 1 Strain gives +3 Ranks to Conversation or Leadership for one test. OK, so the test part is easy - add the bonus and roll higher. But what about the duration? Conversation has a duration of Rank days. Do I get an extra 3 days of duration, because I had +3 Ranks when I rolled the test, or do I use my permanent Talent Rank to measure duration, since the +3 bonus disappears after the test?

I'm inclined to add the temporary Ranks to duration because it's part of the effect, and because funny stuff occurs when you use a temporary bonus to a Talent in which you have 0 Ranks.
"Mind over Body. Body over Mind."
- Verron Vittraxi, Wizard Extraordinaire

Bonhumm

Re: Temporary Talent Ranks and Duration

Post by Bonhumm » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:23 am

In my opinion, its a question of the wording.

- If its described as 'gives +3 Ranks to Conversation for one test', then it means your TALENT was 3 ranks higher when you did the test, thus any effect based on the RANK of the Talent is affected (thus it would be [Temporarily improved Rank] X Hours). Even though your Talent will go down 3 Ranks immediately after the test, this should not affect the duration because getting a wound AFTER a normal test would not affect the duration either.

- If its described as 'gives +3 to a Conversation TEST' then your Rank remains the same and so is the duration.