Multiple Nethermancer Aspect spells?

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Lamoron
Multiple Nethermancer Aspect spells?

Post by Lamoron » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:35 pm

I've been looking around and I can't find anything preventing me from using multiple Aspect spells on someone. Besides giving the target a host of conditions to work around, is there anything preventing someone from having both Aspect of the Bone Spirit and Aspect of the Fog Ghost active at the same time? (I mean besides maybe fluff).

Panda

Re: Multiple Nethermancer Aspect spells?

Post by Panda » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:58 pm

Greetings,

As indicated on p. 270, Player's Guide, a character may only be affect by one binding at a time in the "Keywords" subsection.
Binding: Some spells bind a summoned spirit to a willing target. A character may only be affected by one binding at a time, which includes any form of involuntary possession. Binding spells grant bonuses to the target, but also require or prohibit certain behaviors. Failure to follow these rules ends the spell. While the spell is in effect, the target’s appearance will alter to reflect the nature of the spirit that is bound to them for the duration. It may be subtle, but there is no hiding the otherworldly influence. Using spells in this way makes many Namegivers nervous, as they lack the proper understanding about the differences between Horrors and other spirits.
Hopefully this helps.

Morgan

Lamoron

Post by Lamoron » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Awesome! Thanks.

Lamoron

Post by Lamoron » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:15 am

Follow up question. Is anything preventing me from using an Aspect of the Fog Ghost on a Bone Spirit? I mean the spell to summon a bone spirit says it obeys any command, so I could just command it to accept the Aspect of the Fog Ghost, and then it would be willing. It seems some right mad science to blend together different spirits :)

Panda

Post by Panda » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:43 pm

Greetings,

No, for two reasons. One is a spirit cannot be bound to a spirit. In a sense they occupy the same "space". While it's not specifically addressed, here it is. As well, just because they're accept any command doesn't mean they do it willingly. Willing means they do it of their free will. If they have no free will, it cannot be given.

The question of free will, and how spirits are used and perceived is one we are subtly, but actively exploring in 4E. In addition, how spirits respond to that.

Lamoron

Post by Lamoron » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Panda wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:43 pm
Greetings,

No, for two reasons. One is a spirit cannot be bound to a spirit. In a sense they occupy the same "space". While it's not specifically addressed, here it is. As well, just because they're accept any command doesn't mean they do it willingly. Willing means they do it of their free will. If they have no free will, it cannot be given.

The question of free will, and how spirits are used and perceived is one we are subtly, but actively exploring in 4E. In addition, how spirits respond to that.
Thanks!