Is Great Leap, by itself, the entirety of a movement action?

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
ChrisDDickey
Is Great Leap, by itself, the entirety of a movement action?

Post by ChrisDDickey » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:45 am

This is a question I have had for a while, but never bothered to ask until now.

I have seen several examples given in books and forum answers that seem to imply (without ever clearly stating) that a Great Leap is, by itself, an entire movement action (when not used as a free action to avoid an environmental danger).

Let me give an example of what I am asking. Lets say a character with movement 14 is 6 yards away from a river that is 6 yards wide. Now clearly he could leap from where he was standing, but if he rolls between 6 and 11, he would fall into the river, if he rolled 12 or greater he would leap all the way to the other side of the river.

Could the character legally simply declare that, as one movement action (not two), he is running to the bank of the river, and then leaping to the far bank, with the target number to leap the river being 6, because that is the width of the obstacle to be jumped? Or would the target number have to be 12 because that is the amount of movement desired during that movement action?

So the question is, can a character combine ground and leaping movement within one move action to reduce the great leap target number to only the height/width of the obstacle to be jumped, or is the target number the total distance to be traveled by any means. I have seen text that seems to imply that different people interpret this different ways.

Thanks.

Bonhumm

Re: Is Great Leap, by itself, the entirety of a movement action?

Post by Bonhumm » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:50 am

Personally, I'd see it like any other talents.

Great Leap is a Free Action so I'd say it goes 'on top' of the regular Standard Action and movement.

In my opinion, saying that one can't move after (or before) Great Leap because the talent itself is also movement is like saying one cannot use Second Attack after using Melee Weapon because it is also an attack.

I realize this makes Great Leap OP, especially if using the Split Movement rule with it but... that's how I would read the rule. Sure would like to have a ruling from the developers tho.
Last edited by Bonhumm on Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:36 am

I would allow "standard" movement in addition to the Great Leap.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:03 pm

Mataxes wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:36 am
Wow.
I had never even considered that it would allow a total bonus movement, and that you could leap up to your movement rate, then use your normal movement action to move up to your normal movement rate on the ground, and still have your standard action for other stuff (including movement). I just kind of assumed that Great Leap was using up your movement actions movement rate!

FrozenVomit

Post by FrozenVomit » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:59 pm

So you can use great leap to use Down Strike? :roll:

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:36 pm

ChrisDDickey wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:03 pm
Mataxes wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:36 am
Wow.
I had never even considered that it would allow a total bonus movement, and that you could leap up to your movement rate, then use your normal movement action to move up to your normal movement rate on the ground, and still have your standard action for other stuff (including movement). I just kind of assumed that Great Leap was using up your movement actions movement rate!
I was more answering the specific question posed -- allowing the adept to walk/run a certain distance, and then Great Leap (or vice versa), all as part of the "move".

I hadn't thought through whether the Great Leap would act as an additional bonus distance on top of the move, or whether the total of walking+Great Leap would be limited to the character's Movement rate (possibly doubled by using the standard action to move).

My gut says, "Sure, why not make it a bonus?" But then I'm a bit more permissive at my table in comparison to developing rules and looking at potential loopholes and consequences for abuse.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Panda

Post by Panda » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:50 am

Greetings,

No, Great Leap does not offer bonus Movement Rate. That would make it significantly better than Sprint, which is the low Circle option for increasing Movement Rate.

As for breaking up the movement between running and leaping, there's no problem with that because it's part of their normal movment and a Free action.

As for using Great Leap to enable Down Strike, that is exactly the intent.

Best regards,

Morgan