Nethermancer Circle 5 Karma ability

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
TheOracle
Nethermancer Circle 5 Karma ability

Post by TheOracle » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:07 am

Hello everyone,

another Nethermancer question:

To which spells can the Nethermancer's Circle 5 Karma ability be applied? Would it work on the "Pain" spell to create two additional temporary wounds?
Karma: Spend a karma point to increase one penalty from a spell you are casting by 2.

Bonhumm

Re: Nethermancer Circle 5 Karma ability

Post by Bonhumm » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:34 pm

I guess it would be open to interpretation (unless the developers actually rules on this) but I would expect the 'penalty' to be the 'side effects' of the spell and not the main effect itself.

In your example of the Pain spell, the Wounds would be the 'effect' while the 'penalty' would be the reduced movement.

Thus; I would say the '+2 increase to penalty' would mean it would add two more rounds to the duration of the reduced movement. (i.e. rank+2).
Last edited by Bonhumm on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:23 pm

The penalty is never the duration.
This spell has no penalty at all, so you can't use the karma ability here.
E.G. Arrow of Night has a penalty:
If the target suffers damage from the spell, they suffer a -2 penalty to their Mystic Armor until the end of the next round.
I'd even say that the word penalty must be included in the spells desciption to use this abilty.

Panda

Post by Panda » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:02 pm

Greetings,

Belenus is correct. I wouldn't say it must say penalty, but it's definitely a good start. The spell should indicate what the penalty is, rather than relying on a condition (unless that's how the table wants to roll). For example, Spirit Dart clearly has a penalty, but doesn't use that exact terminology. Whereas Ethereal Darkness causes a Full Darkness penalty to sight-based actions, but making it more Full Darkness doesn't particularly do anything. On the other hand, Spirit Grip offers two penalties, so one of them would be -4 (though as a GM, I would allow each to go to -3 in that instance if the player wanted). Pain is not affected because there's no penalty to make worse and it doesn't get to inflict more Wounds.

Hopefully this clarifies things.

Cheers,

Morgan

TheOracle

Post by TheOracle » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:05 am

Thank you! :)