ELI5 the Horror Stalker path

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Lamoron
ELI5 the Horror Stalker path

Post by Lamoron » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:47 am

I always have trouble wrapping my head around the actual rules in ED, as they're often meshed in with fluff and descriptions. I'm about to hit Circle 5 as Nethermancer, and having been marked by a basically unkillable horror that messes with my threads to items, I need to walk the path of Horror Stalking in order to at least get Bear Mark, before moving on.

I need to find a Rank 5 member and perform all the fluff to join the path, but then what actually happens rules wise? What do I pay, what do I gain, what do I need to advance?

Panda

Re: ELI5 the Horror Stalker path

Post by Panda » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:48 pm

Greetings,

Once accepted into a Path (which is the difficult part in the process), the candidate goes through the initiation process and ritual. After completing the ritual (2 Blood Magic Damage), they purchase the associated Path knack (Horror Stalker in this case) for the listed cost (500 Legend Points for Horror Stalker) and weave a thread to the Path's pattern. The knack gives them rank 1 in the associated talent, as listed in the knack description. The talent rank and thread rank are the same at all times. The new follower likely alters their Karma Ritual practices to reflect their new connection, though this may be a process and their Karma Ritual evolves over time as their dedication to their Path grows.

At rank 1, the follower can purchase one Rank 1+ talent option from the list (which includes Bear Mark for Horror Stalkers), and gains access to the Path's Half-Magic modification. Later ranks may see increases to characteristics as noted in the Game Information section of each Path. Increasing rank requires performing an ordeal then an advancement ritual if approved, as described in the "Ordeals and Advancement" section in the Game Information section. Advancing allows the follower to increase their Path rank at a Legend Point cost using the listed table (Master in the case of Horror Stalker; rank 2 is 800 Legend Points). Their new rank gives them access to another talent option from the lists they have access to (Rank 1+ for Rank 2), and the characteristic bonus (+1 Mystic Defense).

Hopefully this lays out the mechanics side of the process.

Morgan

Michael

Post by Michael » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:18 pm

I have questions:

1: So any paths requires learning the Knack which just gives you access to the path and the talents?
2: Once you purchase a Talent, it is raised on it's own like the rest of your talents? IE you spend LP as whatever the knack is at, in this case, Master?
3: Raising the Knack allows you to learn another talent
4: You cannot raise the knack without an ordeal? (But I can still raise the talent I buy on the path?)
5: Is there a circle restriction for starting a path?

thanks

Panda

Post by Panda » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:21 pm

Greetings,

1) Learning the knack allows you to weave a thread to the Path and gives rank 1 in the associated talent.
2) It is raised with Legend Points, but I don't quite know what "raised on its own" means in this context. It cannot be increased whenever there's eight hours to spare if you have the Legend Points; there are additional requirements to increasing the talent.
3) The knack is never "raised". Once purchased, it doesn't do anything else.
4) See 3.
5) Yes, each knack indicates all the associated restrictions (like all knacks).

Lamoron

Post by Lamoron » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:08 pm

Thanks Panda! Makes sense.

Michael

Post by Michael » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:34 pm

here's my question perhaps better explained . . .

You learn the knack, it can only be raised first by doing an ordeal than paying the LP. It only serves, in game mechanics, that each time it increases, you can learn another Talent Option from the Path

These talent options from the path are independent of the knack's rank? I have to spend LP to increase, say for example Bear Mark, per whatever circle the knack is (Horror Stalker is Master circle). I can raise these talents in the same manner I raise other talents? 8 hours and pay the LP? Can the rank in these talents be higher than the knack?

thanks

Panda

Post by Panda » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:55 pm

Greetings,

To be clear: knacks do not have ranks. These knacks are no exception.

It provides a talent, which does have a rank. This may seem pedantic, but specificity in terminology is important because otherwise it becomes needlessly confusing and I cannot assure we are talking about the same thing.

You learn the knack and gain the [Path] talent. For example, you learn the Horror Stalker knack and gain the Horror Stalker talent as part of that.

Each time your Horror Stalker talent increases, you can learn another talent option from the available Horror Stalker lists.

The talent options learned through your Path(s) are raised as any other talent with no limits. They can be higher than the [Path] talent. The only limitation is access to them.

Hopefully this clears everything up.

Michael

Post by Michael » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:57 pm

that does, thanks