Hold thread talent

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Michael
Re: Hold thread talent

Post by Michael » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:21 am

Slimcreeper wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:08 am
I'm not looking at the book; is there something about hold thread that requires the target to be in range? I certainly have never required that of any other spell.
The magician may make a Spellcasting test to cast the spell during any of these rounds, but takes 1 Strain for each round the thread is held.
I don't see anything that says range but I guess you would assume offensive spell that the target would have to be in range

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:35 pm

Slimcreeper wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:08 am
I'm not looking at the book; is there something about hold thread that requires the target to be in range? I certainly have never required that of any other spell.
I would assume Hold Thread to work exactly like Thread Weaving; range is not an issue while you thread, only when you spellcast.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:39 pm

Of course all targets have to be in range when the spell is actually cast, but I don't think the target needs to be in range (or a target even be specified yet) when the threads are being pulled.

I think the consensus is that the target choice only needs to be finalized just before the spellcasting test is made. Thus the threads can be pulled (and held) even if there are no potential targets in range.
Last edited by ChrisDDickey on Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:06 pm

ChrisDDickey wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:39 pm
Of course the target has to be in range when the spell is actually cast, but I don't think the target needs to be in range (or a target even be specified yet) when the threads are being pulled.

I think the consensus is that the target choice only needs to be finalized just before the spellcasting test is made. Thus the threads can be pulled (and held) even if there are no potential targets in range.
Exactly, I've always seen Thread Weaving as being the equivalent of loading a bullet into a gun: the range of the target (or which target you will shoot at) is irrelevant at that point and only becomes important when you pull the trigger/spellcast.